Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dunner2020
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Enabling filter by check box

Hi there,

I have three filter measures (let say filter1, filter2, and filter3). I created a measure that calculates the number of events (let say the name of measure is [no of events]. I want to have a checkbox with the values "Yes" or "No" so that when we ticked the Yes filter measures get enabled and [no of events] shows the number of events after filtering the data. Otherwise (if it's ticked "No") it shows the number of events without filtering the data. Is it possible to do in Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dunner2020 

I think you can achieve your goal by building a unrelated slicer table and measure.

Due to I don't know your data model I build a sample table to have a test.

Sample Table:

1.png

Slicer Table:

2.png

Measure:

No of Event = 
VAR _Checkbox =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Checkbox[Status] )
VAR _YES =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            'Table',
            'Table'[Category1] = "A"
                && 'Table'[Category2] = "BB"
                && 'Table'[Category3] = "Event1"
        ),
        'Table'[QTY]
    )
VAR _NO =
    SUM ( 'Table'[QTY] )
RETURN
    IF (
        HASONEFILTER ( Checkbox[Status] ),
        IF ( _Checkbox = "Yes", _YES, _NO ),
        ""
    )

Build a card visual to show the measure result. By default it will show blank, select "No", it will show sum of all QTY without filter, select "Yes", it will show results filtered by filter1 (Category1 = "A"), filter2 (Category2 = "BB") and filter3 (Category3 = "Event1").

Result is as below.

Select No:

3.png

Select Yes:

4.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: Enabling filter by check box

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dunner2020 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dunner2020 

I think you can achieve your goal by building a unrelated slicer table and measure.

Due to I don't know your data model I build a sample table to have a test.

Sample Table:

1.png

Slicer Table:

2.png

Measure:

No of Event = 
VAR _Checkbox =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Checkbox[Status] )
VAR _YES =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            'Table',
            'Table'[Category1] = "A"
                && 'Table'[Category2] = "BB"
                && 'Table'[Category3] = "Event1"
        ),
        'Table'[QTY]
    )
VAR _NO =
    SUM ( 'Table'[QTY] )
RETURN
    IF (
        HASONEFILTER ( Checkbox[Status] ),
        IF ( _Checkbox = "Yes", _YES, _NO ),
        ""
    )

Build a card visual to show the measure result. By default it will show blank, select "No", it will show sum of all QTY without filter, select "Yes", it will show results filtered by filter1 (Category1 = "A"), filter2 (Category2 = "BB") and filter3 (Category3 = "Event1").

Result is as below.

Select No:

3.png

Select Yes:

4.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: Enabling filter by check box

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Dunner2020 ,

Regarding your question, I have to admit that I have my problems understanding your requirement.

Please consider to create a pbix file that contains sample data, but still reflects the data model (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/design-model-power-bi/).
You can use this to enter data directly in Power BI Desktop: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-enter-data-directly-into-desktop. Upload the pbix file to onedrive or dropbox and share the link. If you are using Excel to create the sample data, share the xlsx as well.
Create columns that contain the expected results, use the sample data to explain how the result is derived from the sample data.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors