cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Empty space in Column Chart

I've created a clustered column chart from 8 fields, but for some reason there is all this empty space on either side of the bars. I tried changing the width of the columns, but that simply expands the whole chart, preserving the empty space. It looks the same horizontally or vertically. There are exactly eight measures in this chart - what's going on?

Thanks.

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this comes down to my data needed to be unpivoted first. Instead of 8 measures, I unpivoted the data and created one measure which I then visualize by different attributes (in this case race). Almost fixed, but having a problem with my measure which I will post separately.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this comes down to my data needed to be unpivoted first. Instead of 8 measures, I unpivoted the data and created one measure which I then visualize by different attributes (in this case race). Almost fixed, but having a problem with my measure which I will post separately.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Confirmed - works fine now: 

Capture.PNG

Glad you got it @Anonymous . Indeed, unpivoting data is often the answer!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Learn Power BI 2nd Edition
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.

Appreciate your Kudos.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! !!
Dashboard of My Blogs !! Connect on Linkedin
Want To Learn Power BI
Learn Power BI Beginners !! Advance Power BI Concepts !! Power BI For Tableau User !! Learn Power BI in Hindi !!
Proud to be a Super User!
!! Subscribe to my youtube Channel !!
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, you have cropped off the legend and the axis so tough to see what is going on. Since you apparently only have a single category in your axis, perhaps try swapping your legend to your axis?

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Learn Power BI 2nd Edition

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through May 31st!

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Power BI Dev Camp Session 22 768x460.jpg

Check it out!

Mark your calendars and join us on Thursday, May 26 at 11a PDT for a great session with Ted Pattison!