Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

diederd
Helper II
Helper II

Employee turnover/total headcount

Hello.

I have recently received a request in which our HR Dept would like to have a report displaying the following:

- total employees/head count for a date period (broken down by year)

- noting that an employee could have been employed in Role A and during the year promoted to a new Role B

I have attached a screenshot of the data structure I've been provided; hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to how to go about starting this DAX query?

screenshot.png

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @diederd ,

We can create a measure using following formula to meet your requirement:

HeadCount = 
COUNTROWS (
    DISTINCT (
        SELECTCOLUMNS (
            FILTER (
                'Table',
                OR (
                    AND (
                        'Table'[End Date] >= MAX ( 'calendar'[Date] ),
                        'Table'[Start Date] <= MIN ( 'calendar'[Date] )
                    ),
                    AND ( ISBLANK ( 'Table'[End Date] ), [Start Date] <= MIN ( 'calendar'[Date] ) )
                )
            ),
            "Name", [Name]
        )
    )
)

14.PNG

If it doesn't meet your requirement, kindly share your sample data and expected result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

BTW, pbix as attached.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @diederd ,

We can create a measure using following formula to meet your requirement:

HeadCount = 
COUNTROWS (
    DISTINCT (
        SELECTCOLUMNS (
            FILTER (
                'Table',
                OR (
                    AND (
                        'Table'[End Date] >= MAX ( 'calendar'[Date] ),
                        'Table'[Start Date] <= MIN ( 'calendar'[Date] )
                    ),
                    AND ( ISBLANK ( 'Table'[End Date] ), [Start Date] <= MIN ( 'calendar'[Date] ) )
                )
            ),
            "Name", [Name]
        )
    )
)

14.PNG

If it doesn't meet your requirement, kindly share your sample data and expected result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

BTW, pbix as attached.

Best regards,

v-lid-msft.

Thank you so much for your prompt response/answer.

This is simply genius!! Perfect in the way in which it answers the question raised by our HR team and get's me out of a tight spot 😉 Thank you again for your help in providing the solution.

sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @diederd ,

not easy to figure out what you want to do, from you requirement description and you data structure.

-noting that an employee could have been employed in Role A and during the year promoted to a new Role B

How should this be handled when looking at period where an employee has changed role? Should the employee be part of the head count for each role in that period, or only the last? Or the only the first?.

From your screenshot of the data structure, there is no employee-id. If I can assume that each row is a distinct employee, then the only option would be to use the COUNTROWS-function. But then it would not be possible to detect if an employee has changed e.g. team or work location, only to do the head count pr group. 

You mention Roles, but there are no Roles-column in your data structure.

Cheers,
Sturla

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.