Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

corange
Post Patron
Post Patron

Employee Start of FY

Hi Power BI Team, 

Could someone help me fix my below formula so it will count the number of employee at the start of a new FY: 

EmployeeStartYear =
VAR MaxDate = STARTOFYEAR('Calendar'[Date])
VAR EMPCOUNT =
CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(CALCULATETABLE(Drivers, Drivers[StartDate] <= MaxDate, ALL ('Calendar'[Date]))),
(ISBLANK(Drivers[FinishDate])|| Drivers[FinishDate] > MaxDate))
RETURN IF(ISBLANK(EMPCOUNT), 0, EMPCOUNT)

With the above formula, I obtained the following value for EmployeeStartYear. The number should be the same throughout the entire financial year. However, it changes in January in both instance which tells me it is not correct. Thank you. 

Capture22.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @corange ,

I updated the formula of measure "EmployeeStartYear" and "Employee Count EndofYear", please check whether they are what you want. You can check the details in the updated report file.

EmployeeStartYear =
VAR MaxDate = CALCULATE(MIN('Calendar'[Date]),ALLEXCEPT('Calendar','Calendar'[FY]))//STARTOFYEAR('Calendar'[Date])
VAR EMPCOUNT =
CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(CALCULATETABLE('Sample', 'Sample'[StartDate] <= MaxDate, ALL ('Calendar'[Date]))),
(ISBLANK('Sample'[FinishDate])|| 'Sample'[FinishDate] > MaxDate))
Employee Count EndofYear =
VAR MaxDate = CALCULATE(MAX('Calendar'[Date]),ALLEXCEPT('Calendar','Calendar'[FY]))//ENDOFYEAR('Calendar'[Date])
VAR EMPCOUNT =
CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(CALCULATETABLE('Sample', 'Sample'[StartDate] <= MaxDate, ALL ('Calendar'[Date]))),

Employee Start of FY.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@corange , You can use startofyear in your calendar and compare it with that.

If you want to repeat then you need to have it enddate and you can use CLOSINGBALANCEYEAR , there is OPENINGBALANCEYear, but that also work on the last date of last year

The option is firstnonblankvalue too

I posted 2 video's on that

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=295771268202058

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=343509629992272

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @corange 

You can use the second paramiter in STARTOFYEAR function to set the start of financial Year

https://dax.guide/startofyear/ 

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Hi Mariusz, 

I am still a beginner in the area so was wondering if you could show me exactly how this would look like in my formula? 

Also, what if there is more than one FY, how do I set up the date? 

Thank you. 

Hi @corange ,

You can refer the following blog to adjust the calendar table. If it still not working, please provide some original sample data and your expected result in order to provide you solution suitable for your scenario. Thank you.

Financial Year Calculation In Excel and Power BI

Best Regards

Rena

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft

Please find my sample via the following link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiS7XVNuQsBCcllNYN9yYB8RBEM?e=88sub9 

I am trying to calculate the turnover rate for the FY. I am based in Australia so it goes from July to June and the calculation will be use across multiple financial year. I refered to the article you have posted and I am prety sure I have used it in the past to help me. 

What is happening is that the calculation EmployeeStartYear should be the same across the entire FY - e.g. 2019 - 2020 - 189 employees. However, as we go through the year, it always update when we hit January which then mean that my yearly average to calculatge the turnover isnt accurate. 

Capture26.PNG

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Hi @corange ,

I updated the formula of measure "EmployeeStartYear" and "Employee Count EndofYear", please check whether they are what you want. You can check the details in the updated report file.

EmployeeStartYear =
VAR MaxDate = CALCULATE(MIN('Calendar'[Date]),ALLEXCEPT('Calendar','Calendar'[FY]))//STARTOFYEAR('Calendar'[Date])
VAR EMPCOUNT =
Employee Count EndofYear =
VAR MaxDate = CALCULATE(MAX('Calendar'[Date]),ALLEXCEPT('Calendar','Calendar'[FY]))//ENDOFYEAR('Calendar'[Date])
VAR EMPCOUNT =

Employee Start of FY.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Hi @v-yiruan-msft , 

This worked perfectly. Thank you. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.