Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marksmart
Regular Visitor

Embedding PowerBI into Sharepoint on premise - What licenses are required?

OK So I've done a lot of reading around about this question but I felt the only way to truly answer it would be to try and get help from someone who really knows.

I've been using the PowerBI desktop application for a few weeks, it's great and I had decided that the Pro version would meet our requirements. Here's what I wanted to do and the tools/licenses we have.

Application - PowerBI desktop (will be the PRO license)

Office 365 license - Enterprise E3

Data connections - SQL server/Flat files etc

Data refreshes - Would be desirable

Method of sharing - Sharepoint (on premise)

I wanted to create dashaboard in PowerBI PRO desktop, then follow the process to embed/display them in our sharepoint sites. I've seen that we have the PowerBI web part so I thought I was off to a good start. However I've read a lot of conflicting information about weather this will work or not, some say everyone who wants to view the reports/dashboards will need s PRO license, while others suggest that everyone (even free users) can view anything that is shared with them - as in this documentation article https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-embed-report-spo/

Can anyone help with a definitive answer to this? I've read alot but everyone seems to have a slightly different question/interpretation etc.

Really appreciate any help on this

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @marksmart,

To view Power BI reports embedded on SharePoint online, users have to have Power BI Pro License.

As described in above link, to enable a free license user have access to embedded reports, you need Power BI Premium environment.  If you already have a Power BI Premium, you need to assign a workspace to a capacity. Then, you list the free user as a member of this app workspace. In that case, free users can read the embedded reports.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @marksmart,

To view Power BI reports embedded on SharePoint online, users have to have Power BI Pro License.

As described in above link, to enable a free license user have access to embedded reports, you need Power BI Premium environment.  If you already have a Power BI Premium, you need to assign a workspace to a capacity. Then, you list the free user as a member of this app workspace. In that case, free users can read the embedded reports.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

We have created an app in a premium space and every user we try can see the app on the PowerBI app with a free license.  However, its' been hit or miss on the Sharepoint embedded link; with some users being able to see it with PowerBI Free and Others getting a message stating that they neew PowerBI Pro.  Any ideas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.