Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

antoniasoter
Regular Visitor

Embedded Power BI and .NET web app

Hello,

i have 2  reports which i created using Power BI Desktop which contain data retrieved from 2 different on premises SQL server databases. One is for first client and the other from a second client. Now i want these 2 reports to be embedded on my .NET web app which both clients have access using different credentials to login. I dont want to use the option to pubsih on web as this contains sensitive data so i guess i have to use power bi rest apis.

I have a few questions if anyone can help 

1) What is the correct way of publishing these 2 reports? Shall i use publish option from PowerBI desktop and then what?

2) Are the datasets refreshed? and how many times? This indicates that we need to setup a gateway? All my queries are using import connectivity mode.

3) Is there any step by step guide so i can use?

4) Are there any additional costs other that having a pro license?

If someone can help i would much appreciate that.

I read few articles but im confused here.

Thanks alot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @antoniasoter,

>>1) What is the correct way of publishing these 2 reports? Shall i use publish option from PowerBI desktop and then what?

If your report not contains sensitive data, you can use publish to web feature to publish. If you need some security on embedded reports, you can try to use power bi embedded.

>>2) Are the datasets refreshed? and how many times? This indicates that we need to setup a gateway? 

For import mode, you need to setting a gateway to manage these datasets to up to date, normally they refresh as you set in scheduled refresh.

Notice: 'publish to web' reports has one hour delay for update.

Data refresh

Data refreshes are automatically reflected in your embedded report or visual. It can take approximately 1 hour for refreshed data to be visible from embed codes. You can disable automatic refresh by selecting do not refresh on the schedule for the dataset used by the report.

>>4) Are there any additional costs other that having a pro license?

Publish to web feature is free to all users. For power bi embed, you need pro or above license.

Reference links:

Publish to web from Power BI

Power BI Embedded Documentation

3 ways to embed Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @antoniasoter,

>>1) What is the correct way of publishing these 2 reports? Shall i use publish option from PowerBI desktop and then what?

If your report not contains sensitive data, you can use publish to web feature to publish. If you need some security on embedded reports, you can try to use power bi embedded.

>>2) Are the datasets refreshed? and how many times? This indicates that we need to setup a gateway? 

For import mode, you need to setting a gateway to manage these datasets to up to date, normally they refresh as you set in scheduled refresh.

Notice: 'publish to web' reports has one hour delay for update.

Data refresh

Data refreshes are automatically reflected in your embedded report or visual. It can take approximately 1 hour for refreshed data to be visible from embed codes. You can disable automatic refresh by selecting do not refresh on the schedule for the dataset used by the report.

>>4) Are there any additional costs other that having a pro license?

Publish to web feature is free to all users. For power bi embed, you need pro or above license.

Reference links:

Publish to web from Power BI

Power BI Embedded Documentation

3 ways to embed Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks a lot for your reply

Will definetely try power bi embedded.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.