Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lynnsop
Helper I
Helper I

Embed the Y-Axis category into the bars of a bar chart

Hi all!

Is there a solution to embed the Y-Axis Textes into the bars of the bar chart?

Example how it looks like normally and how I want it to look:

Alex_Ma_0-1617959982891.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there @Sean 

Good to hear from you 🙂

My original solution had some limitations, which you have highlighted.

1. The reason the numerical data labels outside the bars disappear is that the bars I had created for them were a fixed size of 1, and data labels can't spill when 2+ bars are stacked. I'm not sure there's a great solution to this, but we could make the bar size scale with the other bars, e.g.

Zero Measure Top = 
-- Used to give space to plot data label outside end of bar
VAR ScaleFactor = 0.2
VAR MaxPositiveValue = 
CALCULATE ( 
    MAXX ( 
        VALUES ( Dummy[Label] ),
        [Value Sum]
    ),
    ALLSELECTED ()
)
VAR BarSize = 
    MaxPositiveValue * ScaleFactor
VAR ValueSum = 
    [Value Sum]
RETURN
    IF (
        NOT ISBLANK ( ValueSum ),
        BarSize * SIGN ( ValueSum )
    )

Also, to make negative labels (outside the bar) behave, I had to change the format string expression to:

VAR ValueSum = [Value Sum]
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        ISSELECTEDMEASURE ( [Zero Measure Base] ), SELECTEDMEASUREFORMATSTRING (),
        -- Number format for axis
        ISSELECTEDMEASURE ( [Zero Measure Top] ),
            VAR FormatInitial =
                FORMAT ( ValueSum, "0.0" )
            -- Correct for extra negative sign that shows up in data label
            -- Maybe a better way of doing this!
            VAR FormatFixed =
                IF (
                    ValueSum < 0,
                    RIGHT ( FormatInitial, LEN ( FormatInitial ) - 1 ),
                    FormatInitial
                )
            RETURN
                """" & FormatFixed & """",
        -- Number format to appear outside bars
        """" & SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Dummy'[Label] ) & """" & ";"""
            & SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Dummy'[Label] ) & """" -- Label value surrounded by quotes
    )

2. The reason the Text labels disappear is similar, since data labels can't overflow. I imagine that some tweaking of format string expressions could get them showing up against another measure in an appropriate place - I will leave to you or anyone else as an exercise 🙂

I've attached my file with the updates mentioned above.

All the best,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @lynnsop 

Here's one idea: Create a Calculation Group with a Calculation Item whose number format is the Label text.

I've attached a sample PBIX demonstrating this.

OwenAuger_0-1617965649241.png

Initially, I created a Calculation Group with a single Calculation Item:

• Expression:
    SELECTEDMEASURE()
  • Format String Expression (original version): 
    """" & SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Dummy'[Label] ) & """

Then I applied this single Calculation Item as a filter on the visual, and set the Position for the data labels to "Inside base".

After that, I played around with some additional measures [Zero Measure Base] and [Zero Measure Top] to ensure the horizontal axis number format looks sensible and allow for numerical data labels outside the bars, so I changed the Format String Expression to:

SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    ISSELECTEDMEASURE ( [Zero Measure Base] ),
    SELECTEDMEASUREFORMATSTRING (), -- Number format for axis
    """" & FORMAT ( [Value Sum], "0.0" ) & """", -- Number format to appear outside bars
    """" & SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Dummy'[Label] ) & """" -- Label value surrounded by quotes
)

Tooltips might need tweaking (e.g. report page tooltips) or switching off. 

Hopefully this is of some use - I would be interested in whether this works for your report.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

@OwenAuger 
Ok so actually I have no clue what you are doing, so I just downloaded your PowerBi Report, copy pasted your chart and swapped out your data/columns with mine. 

It kinda looks good - though not yet correct:
Instead of showing the Barnames (in our example this would be "text xy") it shows the seperate counts.
The Barnames are not shown at all.

lynnsop_0-1618234801369.png

Hi @lynnsop 

To make this work, the key requirement is to create a Calculation Group - I apologise that I didn't go through all the steps required to do that.

The reason Calculation Groups are useful here is that one of their features is over-riding number formats, which we want to do in order to change the data labels. Unfortunately Power BI doesn't natively allow measure-driven data labels, so this is a technique to get around that.

In your example, we can override number formats with the text value of the Barnames. When the Calculation Item is applied as a filter on the visual, the data labels will use the number format defined in the Calculation Item, rather than the usual number format.

If you haven't encountered Calculation Groups before, I recommend this article, or there are various other articles online.

Here is a rough guide to the steps I followed to create the visual in my PBIX file:

1. Install Tabular Editor in order to be able to conveniently create/modify Calculation Groups in Power BI Desktop.
  2. Ensure that you create explicit measures for any values you want to dispal on your visuals.
    In my example I had this measure:
    Value Sum = SUM ( Dummy[Value] )
  3. On the ribbon, select External Tools > Tabular Editor
  4. In Tabular Editor, right-click on Tables > Create Calculation Group
  5. Rename the Calculation Group and the "Name" column within the Calculation Group to something appropriate.
  6. Right-click on the Calculation Group Name > Create New > Calculation Item, and give it an appropriate name.
  7. After these steps my example looked like this (Calculation Item named Lavel Value in my case):
    OwenAuger_0-1618279094143.png
  8. Then we need to set the Expression and Format String Expression for the Calculation Item.
    1. Select the Calculation Item, and in the Expression Editor enter SELECTEDMEASURE() (This means that the value of the measure will be left as-is)
      OwenAuger_1-1618279368776.png

2. In the Format String Expression editor, we need to enter an expression that over-rides the default number format. In my final version, I wrote an expression that sets the number format depending on the current measure in the visual.
      OwenAuger_2-1618279452966.png

Line 7 is the one that sets the number format to the value of the text field you want to show on the visual, in my case 'Dummy'[Label]. This should be replaced with the relevan field in your data model. The rest of the formula handles some special measures I created to go above & below the main data bar in the visual, but you could omit these if you just want a simple visual.

9. Ctrl-S to save these changes back to Power BI Desktop, then you may be prompted to Refresh in Power BI Desktop.
  10. In Power BI Desktop, create a visual using an explicit measure as a value, and enable data labels, setting the position to Inside Base.
  11. Apply a visual level filter with your Calculation Item is selected. This is what my visual looked like. Note that the Zero Measure Base & Zero Measure Top measures are optional. I used Zero Measure Base to correct the axis labels (as the first measure in a stacked bar sets the axis forma
    OwenAuger_3-1618279681655.png

12. By applying the Calculation Item as a filter, the data labels are over-ridden and instead use the Format String Expression entered in Tabular Editor.

Hopefully that helps!

Kind regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @OwenAuger !

Great solution as always! 🙂

If we modify the sample data a bit 

Text1-6
Text223
Text3317
Text4795
Text5450
Text6356
Text7235

the first 2 values no longer show their data labels and ALL values disappear? 🤔

It seems if the numbers are not close together the Zero Top Measure Values are no longer displayed? Any suggestions or ideas?

Data Labels Calculation Group.png

Thanks! 🙂

Sean

Hi there @Sean 

Good to hear from you 🙂

My original solution had some limitations, which you have highlighted.

1. The reason the numerical data labels outside the bars disappear is that the bars I had created for them were a fixed size of 1, and data labels can't spill when 2+ bars are stacked. I'm not sure there's a great solution to this, but we could make the bar size scale with the other bars, e.g.

Zero Measure Top = 
-- Used to give space to plot data label outside end of bar
VAR ScaleFactor = 0.2
VAR MaxPositiveValue = 
CALCULATE ( 
    MAXX ( 
        VALUES ( Dummy[Label] ),
        [Value Sum]
    ),
    ALLSELECTED ()
)
VAR BarSize = 
    MaxPositiveValue * ScaleFactor
VAR ValueSum = 
    [Value Sum]
RETURN
    IF (
        NOT ISBLANK ( ValueSum ),
        BarSize * SIGN ( ValueSum )
    )

Also, to make negative labels (outside the bar) behave, I had to change the format string expression to:

VAR ValueSum = [Value Sum]
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        ISSELECTEDMEASURE ( [Zero Measure Base] ), SELECTEDMEASUREFORMATSTRING (),
        -- Number format for axis
            VAR FormatInitial =
                FORMAT ( ValueSum, "0.0" )
            -- Correct for extra negative sign that shows up in data label
            -- Maybe a better way of doing this!
            VAR FormatFixed =
                IF (
                    ValueSum < 0,
                    RIGHT ( FormatInitial, LEN ( FormatInitial ) - 1 ),
                    FormatInitial
                )
            RETURN
                """" & FormatFixed & """",
        -- Number format to appear outside bars
        """" & SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Dummy'[Label] ) & """" & ";"""
            & SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Dummy'[Label] ) & """" -- Label value surrounded by quotes
    )

2. The reason the Text labels disappear is similar, since data labels can't overflow. I imagine that some tweaking of format string expressions could get them showing up against another measure in an appropriate place - I will leave to you or anyone else as an exercise 🙂

I've attached my file with the updates mentioned above.

All the best,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@lynnsop , I doubt the option is there for standard visual

Check some custom visual - https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps?product=power-bi-visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.