Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jtgriffin
Frequent Visitor

Else If Formula Breaks One Dataset

Hello, 

I have a custom column that I want to add to my data that contains an else if formula. I have used this formula in the past in Power BI with no problems, however it will only return "ERROR" in the cell now. 

The Formula: = if [#"Ceiling Value ($K)/Contract Value"]>49999 and [#"Ceiling Value ($K)/Contract Value"]<99999 then "50-100M" else if [#"Ceiling Value ($K)/Contract Value"]<50000 then "Less than 50M" else if [#"Ceiling Value ($K)/Contract Value"]>100000 then "Greater than 100M" else "N/A"

Essentially I want it to read the values in "Ceiling Value($K)/Contract Value" and write into my new column what statement they fit into (50-100M, Greater than 100M, etc." But currently it will only return "Error." It has no syntax errors so I'm confused. Even checked the formula from another dashboard I have and its working fine. 

Any idea how to fix this? 

Thanks, 

JT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@jtgriffin 

Looks like M query. What was the error you got?

Click on the cell which say error to see it.

If this helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jtgriffin ,

Sorry for that we cannot reproduce this error on my side, Could you please try to verify the Name and Data Type of Column Ceiling Value($K)/Contract Value?

if [#"Ceiling Value($K)/Contract Value"]>49999 and [#"Ceiling Value($K)/Contract Value"]<99999 then "50-100M" else if [#"Ceiling Value($K)/Contract Value"]<50000 then "Less than 50M" else if [#"Ceiling Value($K)/Contract Value"]>100000 then "Greater than 100M" else "N/A"

12.jpg

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

This M query should work

=if [#"Ceiling Value ($K)/Contract Value"]<50000 then "Less than 50M" else if [#"Ceiling Value ($K)/Contract Value"]>100000 then "Greater than 100M" else "50-100M"

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@jtgriffin 

Looks like M query. What was the error you got?

Click on the cell which say error to see it.

If this helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn

The error I get is as follows:

Expression.Error: We cannot apply operator < to types Number and Text.
Details:
Operator=<
Left=50000
Right=484

The 484 is the number in column "Ceiling Value ($K)/Contract Value". So it seems to be looking in the right spot. Any ideas why it wont apply the < operator? 

This is very strange. 

Thanks, 

JT

Im new to PBI, but I think this was the issue. 

I had the add column query placed after I told it to transform the data to decimal form for the ceiling value. Once I moved the data change type above the add custom column everything seemed to work. 

Did think order mattered but apparently it does in that section. 

Thanks for all the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.