Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kucci
Frequent Visitor

Efficient way to calculate top % within a category

Hi, I've got a huge data set of >1.5mil rows loaded in Power BI. I'm trying to segmentise the top 2%, next 20%, remaining 78% by value within each category (A, B, C). I've been adding columns using M instead of DAX as I read that the performance is faster since the data set is quite big. I was exploring creating tables based on top N values but that might be quite tedious; also sorting from high to low and assigning % might be an option too but it'll be too taxing on the performance. Any suggestions on efficient ways to do it?

Thank you!

Resulting table should add the 4th column with tagging

PersonCategoryValueTagging
Person 1A100Top 2%
Person 2A80Next 20%
Person 3A60Remaining 70%
Person 4A40Remaining 70%
Person 5A20Remaining 70%
Person 6A10Remaining 70%
Person 7B200...
Person 8C50...
Person 9C50...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kucci 

You may try to build calculated columns, and it works well.

I build a sample which has 1 million rows to have a test.

Rank = RANKX(FILTER(Sheet2,Sheet2[Category]=EARLIER(Sheet2[Category])),Sheet2[Value],,DESC,Dense)
Tag = 
Var  _MaxRank = MAXX(FILTER(Sheet2,Sheet2[Category] = EARLIER(Sheet2[Category])),Sheet2[Rank])
return
SWITCH(TRUE(),Sheet2[Rank]<=_MaxRank*0.02,"	Top 2%",Sheet2[Rank]<=_MaxRank*0.22,"Next 20%","Remaining 70%")

Result:

1.png

If this reply still could't help you solve your problem, could you tell me your calculate logic to calculate TopN?

Did you calcualte the Top N by the rank for each category?

You can download the pbix file from this link: Efficient way to calculate top % within a category

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kucci 

You may try to build calculated columns, and it works well.

I build a sample which has 1 million rows to have a test.

Rank = RANKX(FILTER(Sheet2,Sheet2[Category]=EARLIER(Sheet2[Category])),Sheet2[Value],,DESC,Dense)
Tag = 
Var  _MaxRank = MAXX(FILTER(Sheet2,Sheet2[Category] = EARLIER(Sheet2[Category])),Sheet2[Rank])
return
SWITCH(TRUE(),Sheet2[Rank]<=_MaxRank*0.02,"	Top 2%",Sheet2[Rank]<=_MaxRank*0.22,"Next 20%","Remaining 70%")

Result:

1.png

If this reply still could't help you solve your problem, could you tell me your calculate logic to calculate TopN?

Did you calcualte the Top N by the rank for each category?

You can download the pbix file from this link: Efficient way to calculate top % within a category

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Thanks, this worked well! I didn't realise that I had to create a calculated column instead of a measure.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.