Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

krixtsup3r
Helper V
Helper V

Efficiency question - Power Query vs Desktop

Hi Guys! 

Just wanna ask what is more efficient in different scenarios:

Scenario 1: 

(1) Doing relationships in Power Query wherein you connect your queries to have one summarized query

(2) Doing the connections after the transformations

Scenario 2:

(1) Adding columns in the power query itself, like start of month, end of week, mathematical calculations

(2) Creating calculated columns within the transformed data

I've been pondering which is better, any suggestions is greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @krixtsup3r 

There are different options in different situations. Just like we can't do more transform on the column which was built by Dax in Power Query Editor. As below, it tells you when to choose power query or calculated column.

1.png

For more info you may refer to this blog:  power query vs calculated column

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @krixtsup3r 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@krixtsup3r , Scenario 2 is an efficient way.

Scenario 1 dependents. Like summarization should only be done if it is needed.

@amitchandak  creating a relationship wthin power query to connect data is not efficient as well?  For example connecting your date reference table to your main table?

Hi @krixtsup3r 

There are different options in different situations. Just like we can't do more transform on the column which was built by Dax in Power Query Editor. As below, it tells you when to choose power query or calculated column.

1.png

For more info you may refer to this blog:  power query vs calculated column

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.