Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

DannyAMC
Regular Visitor

Editing data source credentials hangs

I have an on-premise gateway in personal mode on my computer. I have created a report and published it to the web. When I try and do a refresh of the dataset in the web, it tells me I have to edit the credentials for the data source.  Source file is an excel document stored in One Drive. On the edit credentials screen, I see:

path

Authentication method - Only option is WindowsWithoutImpersonation

Privacy level setting for this data source - private

When I click sign in, I get the little circle that never seems to end attempting to sign in.

Gateway is current as I am brand new to PowerBi

I made sure the privacy setting on the dataset was set to private

Could it be because I have two factor authentication enabled for my O365 account?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DannyAMC ,

Click "Clear permission" and try again.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
IV97
Frequent Visitor

I had the same problem and solved it by changing the path of my data source (Excel sheet in OneDrive) using this method: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links

Then I cleared the permissions, and published again the report (replacing the old one in the Power BI web app). 

After that I went back to the Dataset settings and clicked on Edit Credentials and signed in using O2Auth and Organizational.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@DannyAMC ,

In power bi desktop, click data source setting and change windows authentication with alternative authentication. Then check if this issue persists.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

When looking in PowerBI Desktop, if I go to Edit Queries -> Data source settings -> Edit permissions, it only allows me to change the Privacy Level

2019-04-09 08_41_25-.png

@DannyAMC ,

Have you solved your issue by now? If you have, could you please help mark the correct answer to finish the thread? Your contribution will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Sorry for the late reply. I had to update powerbi as well as the gateway, then i cleared permissions and started fresh. Everything works now. Thanks!

@DannyAMC ,

Click "Clear permission" and try again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.