Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Editing & Applying Queries on Imported SQL data when Offline ( outside of company firewall).

Hi All,

Can I check my understanding of editing and applying queries for an imported data source when not connected to the SQL database.

I'll preface it with that I understand the core difference between importing a table from e.g. SQL and using direct query. 

My questions: is it possible to edit queries and apply changes to the importated data when not connected to the database ? Am I missing a setting or step to enable this ?

Or, as it seems is the case, even though the data has been imported and can be used in the desktop editor and Viz engine offline, editing and applying queries does require a connection to the source ?

The scenario is:

When I am at work on a company PC within the network I've imported data from an SQL source. Happy days editing queries. Everything is as it should be. I then save the .pbix file in onedrive.

When I work from home on my own laptop I'm outstide the company network. I download and open the onedrive .pbix file.

The report in desktop editor works fine. But I can't edit queries because I can't connect to the company database behind the firewall.

Is this the limitation of the datasource interaction as it stands?

I have read that a possible solution is to use Power BI within a citrix web client. We use citrix to access other company applications and data so I will be following this up with IT. Or I'll get a company laptop with VPN. But I'm looking for another way in the interim. 

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I test it using SQL Server profiler to trace the SQL Server connections. When we edit in Editor Query, for example we remove several columns in Editor Query, it will connect SQL Server can select the only necessary columns. You can still test it in your local computer.

When you open the .pbix file at home, the connect to SQL Server is denied. The first step to get the datasource failed, you can't edit the data using Query.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
YasirK
Frequent Visitor

There should be an option to spool or modify query offline without getting the unable to connect error. I have the same problem.

Agreed, this should really be implemented. the data is already imported into the model, is there any technical reason why we cannot modify the queries without a connection?

Regards

Fredrik

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I test it using SQL Server profiler to trace the SQL Server connections. When we edit in Editor Query, for example we remove several columns in Editor Query, it will connect SQL Server can select the only necessary columns. You can still test it in your local computer.

When you open the .pbix file at home, the connect to SQL Server is denied. The first step to get the datasource failed, you can't edit the data using Query.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.