Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

alan_t
Frequent Visitor

Editing Reports that are shared to a workspace via a content pack

I created a dashboard/report/dataset on My Workspace. I packaged it up in a Content Pack that is shared in my Organization. I then created a Group Workspace which I brought the Content Pack into through the Get Data function. Everything fine so far. The issue is that neither I nor any of the members of the Group are able to edit the report or dashboard in the Workspace.

The Workspace was defined with the 'Members can Edit PowerBi Content' attribute set. In fact one of my co-workers, even with the Admin permissions in that group is unable to Edit a Report. I read a posting here about Making a Copy but the idea is to work off a shared copy not have multiple versions to confuse the user base.

Thanks in advance for any advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
alan_t
Frequent Visitor

Ok, I just realized whta Matt was suggesting. One must bring in a Content Pack, then one must make a copy of the Dashboard, Report and Dataset, disponse of the original and that gets us around this issue.

Rather ugly. Perhaps microsoft can enhance its offering so that when someone is looking at organizational content packs they can either get the original (current functionality) or make a copy.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

If you want to have group members edit, you need to take a copy of the content pack first.  Options are

1.  create a shared workgroup, add data, add users, all edit.  No need for a content pack here.

2.  EDIT 26 June: Create new workspace, add data to this workspace, create content pack, share content pack from there, Others then connect to content pack, copy content pack, all edit the copy.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thanks for the quick and thorough responses. I created a set of reports in my workspace  (before I knew anything about content packs or workspaces). I then realized that I needed to share and allow others to edit. So I created a Workspace with Edit privileges for all. I went back into my Workspace, created a content pack and was able to bring it into the shared workspace. The issue is that the shared workspace can see the dashboard, reports and data sets, but it cannot Edit.

Is there a limitation in that only objects originating in a shared workspace can be editable and objects created in My Workspace cannot?

alan_t
Frequent Visitor

Ok, I just realized whta Matt was suggesting. One must bring in a Content Pack, then one must make a copy of the Dashboard, Report and Dataset, disponse of the original and that gets us around this issue.

Rather ugly. Perhaps microsoft can enhance its offering so that when someone is looking at organizational content packs they can either get the original (current functionality) or make a copy.

@MattAllington I'm struggling with this concept and why it would be used anywhere... Help me out here. Based on the current behavour of content packs this solution to me has three major areas of concern. The first is that the actual owner of the original copy of the report and thus the master copy is stuck in a personal workspace. The second, is that if a structural change needs to occur in the model, or original report, then all end users need to get the latest content pack and lose all their work - or work off an un-updated copy of the Content Pack... isn't that correct? And finally, the part that makes my skin crawl, is if the original is deleted...everything downstream is deleted.

I keep thinking of this in terms of business hours invested in copies and all that vanishes on delete...

I know you've been working with these alot lately, do you have a counter view that could shine some sunshine on my gloomy outlook 🙂 Or maybe I'm missing a core concept in here somewhere...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Eno1978 wrote:
the actual owner of the original copy of the report and thus the master copy is stuck in a personal workspace.

That is what I said (in error), it was not what I meant.  Not sure what I was thinking.  Personally I would never use this approach for this exact reason.  I recommend creating the group first, adding the data to the group, create the content pack in the group and share from there.  I will change my earlier post to that end for future reference.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

@Eno1978 wrote:

Or maybe I'm missing a core concept in here somewhere...

Or maybe it is me that is missing something.  My requirement is for users to be able to produce their own reports and analysis in Power BI Service.  My solution to do that is 

1. Create and share a content pack

2. They can't edit any reports in the content pack (as it is read only), so they make a copy.  Then they can do their own analysis

Is there another, better way to allow users to create their own reports and analysis in Power BI Service?

@MattAllington Thanks for the response... I've been mulling this over all day, and it's got under my skin again. I need to test this out again with all scenarios. I think there is a missing piece, I just need to nail down the current offering prior to looking for new functionality.

My initial thoughts fall along these lines: If there is a requirement for an end user to create reports, my initial response is to give them access to the data source so that they can connect to it. They own what they build, and they can share that in different ways. Nothing is dependant on someone else.

The dependancy is my major hang up. But, I do see value in being able to build a complete solution that they can access via CP's, I just don't like ownership of the end users new reports to exist with the CP creator.

I'll comment back on this thread after I dive into this again. I appreciate the time. 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer what ive found is,

if you make change to the original report in your own workspace then you have to explictly push that update to the content pack that you would have created earlier. at this stage all users who has that content pack will have the new changes come automatically (not to the copy of content pack they would have creataed).

if original report is deleted then that content pack is also deleted along with copy for any user that has that content pack however copy of conent pack made by user will stay. i dont think there is any waste of time as original content pack is not editable by the users and any changes they would have made will be to the copy of that CP which will stay regardless of delete of the original report and CP.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.