cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hawkeye Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Editing Axis Text

Hi all,

New to PowerBi, so apologies if a stupid question.

I've previously been using Tableau which offers the ability to 'Edit Alias' on the text displayed on the Axis (and change the names originally drawn from the spreadsheet) is there a similar function for Power Bi?

It's not a case of a mass renaming of everything, just the odd title here and there that needs shortening - would I have to change the data file to make these changes, or is there a way to do it via the Desktop app?

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-jiascu-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Editing Axis Text

Hi @Hawkeye,

As we can see from the picture, the blue square part is the title of the axis. Did you mean you want to change the name of the part in the red square? If so, more than one value (name) would be a group. So we can change its name into "group A" or something else.

Did you mean this?

Editing Axis Text .jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super Contributor

Hi @Hawkeye,

You can do it in the "Format" of Power BI Desktop. I guess most of the visuals have such settings.

Editing Axis Text.jpg 

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Hawkeye Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sorry! My fault for not explaining clearly. 

So, for example, my Axis is named sales, and the report that the data is drawn from has the text of (for example):

• Sales Ashton, Burton, Colleridge
  • Sales Tusome, Stoke, Wigan

and I'd like to shorten these on the axis to read something like:

• Sales A - C
  • Sales T - W

Edit Alias in Tableau allows you to do that for individual row items without further data editing; I was just wondering if there was similar for Power Bi, or if I'd need to use another column in the datasheet with tidied up names and use that as labels.

Thanks 

Hawkeye Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sorry to bump this - just curious as to if it's possible, or if it's something I should address in the data before importing.

Super Contributor

Hi @Hawkeye,

As we can see from the picture, the blue square part is the title of the axis. Did you mean you want to change the name of the part in the red square? If so, more than one value (name) would be a group. So we can change its name into "group A" or something else.

Did you mean this?

Editing Axis Text .jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

View solution in original post

Hawkeye Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks! Yes, that's what I wanted, a way to change the text in the red square - and using Groups seems like a pretty good way to manage this.

Thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 149 members 1,561 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: