Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hawkeye
Frequent Visitor

Editing Axis Text

Hi all,

New to PowerBi, so apologies if a stupid question.

I've previously been using Tableau which offers the ability to 'Edit Alias' on the text displayed on the Axis (and change the names originally drawn from the spreadsheet) is there a similar function for Power Bi?

It's not a case of a mass renaming of everything, just the odd title here and there that needs shortening - would I have to change the data file to make these changes, or is there a way to do it via the Desktop app?

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Hawkeye,

As we can see from the picture, the blue square part is the title of the axis. Did you mean you want to change the name of the part in the red square? If so, more than one value (name) would be a group. So we can change its name into "group A" or something else.

Did you mean this?

Editing Axis Text .jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
grassanj

I tried this solution, but it only changes name in the Legend and not on the axis. Is this not working that way anymore or is there another way?

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Hawkeye,

You can do it in the "Format" of Power BI Desktop. I guess most of the visuals have such settings.

Editing Axis Text.jpg 

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sorry! My fault for not explaining clearly. 

So, for example, my Axis is named sales, and the report that the data is drawn from has the text of (for example):

• Sales Ashton, Burton, Colleridge
  • Sales Tusome, Stoke, Wigan

and I'd like to shorten these on the axis to read something like:

• Sales A - C
  • Sales T - W

Edit Alias in Tableau allows you to do that for individual row items without further data editing; I was just wondering if there was similar for Power Bi, or if I'd need to use another column in the datasheet with tidied up names and use that as labels.

Thanks 

Sorry to bump this - just curious as to if it's possible, or if it's something I should address in the data before importing.

Hi @Hawkeye,

As we can see from the picture, the blue square part is the title of the axis. Did you mean you want to change the name of the part in the red square? If so, more than one value (name) would be a group. So we can change its name into "group A" or something else.

Did you mean this?

Editing Axis Text .jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry, but I still don't quite get how to edit the actual axis labels (the stuff in the red square) & not the axis title (the stuff in the blue square). That is, how do I change "Group A" or "Literature" in this grapic to read as "AABB", "CCDD" etc.? I already know how to change "Brand", which is the axis title, & is in the blue square to something else. Pl advise. 

@AnonymousRight Click on the relevant Field (under the 'Fields panel') and scroll down to 'New Group' you should then be able to Group and re-name things; groups can consist of a single entry so you can create a group just for the purpose of renaming something on your axis. 

Hi...Does this still work? I've tried this, but it only changes the name in the Legend. I'm doing for only one entry. Thank you for any advice.

Thanks! Yes, that's what I wanted, a way to change the text in the red square - and using Groups seems like a pretty good way to manage this.

Thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.