Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

evaleriselda

Edit a report with Power BI Desktop after it was edited with Power BI Online

Greetings,

I have just created my brand new report using Power BI Desktop.

Saved the .pbix file on my desktop and then published.

Then I opened it with Power BI Online and I edited the report and the dashboard and saved them.

Now my report / dashboard within Power BI Desktop is obsolete!

How can I retrieve with Power BI Desktop the updated version which I saved online? Is it impossible?

Kind regards,

Emiliano.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@evaleriselda Currently you are only able to push a Desktop file to the Service. Since you made the changes in the Service, you will need to manually do them in the Desktop version. There is no "export" functionality yet.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ScrewMicrosoft
Frequent Visitor

8 years later, this is still an issue. Microsoft is filled with idiots who are expert in making products counterintiutive. A button saying edit this report in PBI desktop would be great. But no, "let's make this difficult. Let's design a product without considering future requirements. Rest and vest."

alana

This is such a vital necessity, thus a grave deficiency.

I have spent three days creating reports in Power BI Online and am disheartened to learn I now have to recreate all that work in Power BI Desktop just so I can edit my dataset. It would have been great to be warned of this issue. There is no mention of this in any of the documentation online. This post was the only reference I could find to this issue. When I contacted technical support I was not given any answers and instead given a link to the community.

...so thank you Emiliano!

Does anyone know if a two-way sync between Power BI online and Power BI desktop is on the product roadmap?

Cheers,

Alana

completely agree, it s ridculous that this doesn t exist

Is this still an issue?  I understood the Power BI service was designed so you could work on the Desktop, or on the Web, or on Mobile.  I exported an Excel document and it sent me to the web.  Then I look on desktop where I'm logged in and there no reference to that document.  Why does Excel let me publish to Power BI but not link directly to the desktop application so I can utilize the powerful tools there, but rather goes directly to the web?

@evaleriselda Currently you are only able to push a Desktop file to the Service. Since you made the changes in the Service, you will need to manually do them in the Desktop version. There is no "export" functionality yet.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer, thank you for your answer!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.