Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cdelladonna
Frequent Visitor

Edit Query Greyed out when using Power BI Service Connection

Hi everyone,

I am currently having an issue in one of my files that is using the powerbi live connection. 

First off, pretty much every button on the nav bar is diabled.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNGAnother thing that I noticed is that certain fields are not coming over from my sql server. I have refreshed the datasource from the web version and then refreshed my desktop version, but I am missing a handful of fields that I am trying to pull from a view.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cdelladonna,

It's a limitation from this article that

• Since this is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled, similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.
  • Since this is a live connection, RLS (row- and role-level security), OneDrive for Business, and other such connection behaviors are enforced, just as they are when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.

Regarding the issue that certain fields are not coming over from sql server, based on my test in desktop version 2.46.4732.721 64-bit (May 2017), if the connected dataset is refreshed successfully, click the Refresh button in desktop will see the updated data. In your scenario, please refresh connected dataset in Power BI service, then go to the related report which published with that dataset originally to see if the updated data display.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cdelladonna,

It's a limitation from this article that

• Since this is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled, similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.
  • Since this is a live connection, RLS (row- and role-level security), OneDrive for Business, and other such connection behaviors are enforced, just as they are when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.

Regarding the issue that certain fields are not coming over from sql server, based on my test in desktop version 2.46.4732.721 64-bit (May 2017), if the connected dataset is refreshed successfully, click the Refresh button in desktop will see the updated data. In your scenario, please refresh connected dataset in Power BI service, then go to the related report which published with that dataset originally to see if the updated data display.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
JordanAWARE
Frequent Visitor

Hey this is basically what happens when you set the datasource to power bi service - all the get data functionalitys etc become disabled (as this is now all controlled in the data source pbix) and as far as i know there is no way to actually stop that report using power bi service without some very dirty manual file modifications.

- Hopefully you have a spare copy of the report before you converted it to live connection

As for the fields not showing up in your report im not too sure why this is happening - can you open the PBIX of your datasource and are these fields in here? if so they should be sent through to your desktop report via the power bi service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.