Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

taumirza
Helper IV
Helper IV

Edit Existing SQL

Hi All,

Once i import data through Get data> SQL Server > providing the query in the SQL statement window, is it possible to modify that SQL...? (a SQL with complex calculations for our requirement).

cuz i built few viz's and dont wanna create another query item so that i use the same dataset(Query) to be modified which i see in my data fields for ease..!!

any help will be appriciated.

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can modify it by clicking on the wheel on the source Step in the query settings

capture20160708122325075.png

or modify the Query parameter in the Advanced editor

a.png

/erik

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
aahmed
Regular Visitor

EditSQL.jpg

The method that @aahmed showed returns the correct explanation. If you just try to go through the edit queries section at the top you will recieve the greyed out box.

The method that @aahmed showed returns the correct explanation. If you just try to go through the edit queries section at the top you will recieve the greyed out box.

@aahmed - what if the Source "wheel" is non-existent (and when I right click, the "Edit Settings" is greyed out) - I can see this feature on some tables in my pbix file but not others. It seems as though the wheel/edit feature shows up if the query is ONLY referencing one table, but if the query has a JOIN then the wheel/edit feature is not available. Have you experienced this? Any suggestions for a workaround here? Editing the queries with the JOINs are the most cumbersome (I copy/paste into Notepad++ then "replace all" of the #(lf) and then reverse those steps after I've edited my query in SSMS.edit source powerbi.PNG

Power Query has a "split query" option to break a query into 2 pieces.  hence you can break your query into a "source" and then transformation this way.  Then you can point to the new source and create a new query from that.

In my experience, I tend to write my queries in SSMS first, then paste them into the Query window when creating a new query. I find it easier and more flexible.  The only exception is if you want to use Query Folding with a table from within Power BI, then it is better to use a native query.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi, @MattAllington I don't know u got me wrong or i did...!!

I too follow the same SSMS way. But what um asking is, once um done with

1. writing SQL in SSMS and then Copying that SQL statement in

2. Get Data> SQL Server > SQL Statement Window,

3. Importing the data / Loading the data in the report (PBI Desktop) 

can i modify the query which i wrote at the get data in 2nd step...??Smiley Happy

Hi,

You can do that via the Applied Steps in your Query editor or using the advanced editor via the View tab and then modify your M/Power Query script

Or even better create a parameter and use that parameter in your query

/Erik

hi @donsvensen um not aware of M/Power Query Script and i got a few modfications in my query through updating the previous SQL statement in SSMS. i want to use the updated SQL instead of the SQL i provided to the report before.

should i create another data connection and add another query to the report with the updated SQL is this the only choice do i have..??

or

is there anyway to update the old SQL of the Existing Query..?

You can modify it by clicking on the wheel on the source Step in the query settings

capture20160708122325075.png

or modify the Query parameter in the Advanced editor

a.png

/erik

Hi, 

I tried changing an SQL statement changing the source; but the SQL statement area is greyed out (impossible to change the text).

Thanks for your help

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.