Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Edit Dataset

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a way how I can edit a dataset like using the Power query, for example. When I connect to the dataset with Power BI Desktop, the only option that I have is creating the report but the data needs to be improved/edited so that it can be useful.

Is there a way how I can do that? I've read something that with the Python this could be done..

Would really appreciate your feedback on this.

Thank you in advance!

Br,

Edgars

5 REPLIES 5
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Did you mean - How to transform/Edit the source data after it was imported into Power BI Desktop ? Is that you are looking for ?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I think so. I have a dataset in the Power BI web. I can open that dataset with Power BI Desktop (Get Data - Power BI datasets), the dataset is uploaded to the Desktop with all tables and columns but I can't transform/edit this dataset. 

@Anonymous Unfortunately, you can't edit the "Datasets" that are imported from "Power BI Service". You need to import the dataset directly into "Power BI Desktop" to transform the dataset and then publish to the PBI Service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

"You need to import the dataset directly into "Power BI Desktop" to transform the dataset and then publish to the PBI Service."

Can you plese explain how this is done?

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's really unfortunate.. Anyway, thank you for the response! Will try to seach for other options..

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.