Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

captainlaw
Employee
Employee

Edit Data within PBI Desktop?

Hello PBI Folks,

I'm wondering if desktop allows me to edit individual cells of a dataset that was loaded from Excel?  If desktop does not support editing of one cell, I'll simply edit from the source file and refresh.

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you need to edit your source data and refresh.  

Editing the data in PBI would open up a minefield of data integrity and security issues.  That being said, you can of course transform the data when you get, ReplaceValues etc. with the Power Query scripts, or enter data manually or via script (e.g. Chris Webb's post on Creating Tables In Power BI/Power Query M Code Using #table())

I don't think security would be an issue to edit data cause it's like you said transforming data.  Yes, I'm able to write M language to modify entire column of data, just wasn't sure if there's script to edit individual cell, so I assume not.  I'll go the route of modify excel and refresh.

Thanks.

@captainlaw

To edit cell data in your dataset, the best practice is editing your source data and refresh data source. But you can also achieve it with Power Query or DAX formula. You need to select that specify column, then apply filter to find the row and replace the value in that cell. Please refer to a slimilar thread: Replacing just 1 value in a table.

Regards,

Thanks Simon.  Having bunch of IF clause or using selectcolumns function will be too clunky to maintenance over time.  Maybe in the future, PBI will allow cell data modification right within the UI, like Excel.  Just a thought.  Thanks.

@captainlaw

You can vote this idea.

Regards,

Just did... thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.