cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KGooseman Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Easy Way to Delete Columns Not in Use

Hello All,

I have an Azure SQL database that I pull into my reports. It's quite large so I like to go through and delete columns not getting used in a report to help speed up the response and refresh times. I have been going through and doing this manually. My question, is there a way to do this easier or for the system to somehow tell me what columns arent being accessd so I can then delete them? 

Thank you 

6 REPLIES 6
gpiero Member

Re: Easy Way to Delete Columns Not in Use

@KGooseman 

here an option

in the Navigation step you can select what import or not in Choose Column

Regards

img.PNG

KGooseman Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Oh I didn't know about this feature. It will help but was also looking for a way to see what columns aren't being used in a report. 

gpiero Member

@KGooseman 

Hi,

it is very likey I am wrong but I believe that during the data modelling and shaping, we should decide what I need or not  in my report.

For istance, data modeling from a Sharepoint online Custom List, include so many columns not relevant for the pbix, since they belong to SPO environement.

At that stage I have to decide what select or not and I am quite sure that we do not have any tools that later shows which columns has been used or not.

Unless you open tha Navigation stage and check one by one.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpiero 

A kind of a where used list will surely be beneficial to users, at present manually we need to find the fields that is not in use. 

XLBob Member

give Power BI helper a try, it will give u a list of columns that are used in your Power BI report. Although it's not giving you an exhaust list but it's a good starting point. 

https://radacad.com/power-bi-helper

Highlighted
gpiero Member

@XLBob , @Anonymous 

thanks

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 110 members 1,502 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: