Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Easy Way to Delete Columns Not in Use

Hello All,

I have an Azure SQL database that I pull into my reports. It's quite large so I like to go through and delete columns not getting used in a report to help speed up the response and refresh times. I have been going through and doing this manually. My question, is there a way to do this easier or for the system to somehow tell me what columns arent being accessd so I can then delete them? 

Thank you 

6 REPLIES 6
XLBob
Resolver II
Resolver II

give Power BI helper a try, it will give u a list of columns that are used in your Power BI report. Although it's not giving you an exhaust list but it's a good starting point. 

https://radacad.com/power-bi-helper

@XLBob , @Anonymous 

thanks

Regards

If I can...
gpiero
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

@Anonymous 

here an option

in the Navigation step you can select what import or not in Choose Column

Regards

img.PNG

If I can...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh I didn't know about this feature. It will help but was also looking for a way to see what columns aren't being used in a report. 

@Anonymous 

Hi,

it is very likey I am wrong but I believe that during the data modelling and shaping, we should decide what I need or not  in my report.

For istance, data modeling from a Sharepoint online Custom List, include so many columns not relevant for the pbix, since they belong to SPO environement.

At that stage I have to decide what select or not and I am quite sure that we do not have any tools that later shows which columns has been used or not.

Unless you open tha Navigation stage and check one by one.

Regards

If I can...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpiero 

A kind of a where used list will surely be beneficial to users, at present manually we need to find the fields that is not in use. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.