Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unicorn_Tech
Resolver I
Resolver I

Earliest for a text column of year, per plant

Hi.  I have two columns - one of plant varieties, and one of year planted. Many rows, all detailing farm name, area planted, etc.

What I want is a final filter in my report that shows the earliest year the variety was planted.  The final result will simply be year, and variety.

I understand the DAX function "Earliest" can return the earliest date, but I don't want the earliest date by report, but the earliest date for the variety listed in the table.

Or, I want a final filter on the report side, that will show the earliest year.

THis is further complicated by the fact that this year is a text field (2014, 2015, etc.)

Please advise the best solution.  Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Unicorn_Tech ,

Suppose you have a fact date table and a plant data table. And a slicer based on year column in plant date table, you may create a measure using DAX like pattern below:

Result =
CALCULATE (
    MIN ( Plant[Year] ),
    FILTER (
        ALLSELECTED ( Plant[Year] ),
        Plant[Date] IN VALUES ( Fact_Date[Date] )
    )
)

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi.  THank you for replying.  Based on yoru formula, I tried this, but it's returning no values:

First Year =
CALCULATE (
MIN ( new_plotinformations[new_year_of_planting_grafting] ),
FILTER (
ALLSELECTED ( new_plotinformations[new_year_of_planting_grafting]),
new_plotinformations[Variety Name] IN VALUES (new_plotinformations[new_year_of_planting_grafting] )
)
)

My text field of year is in the same table as the plant varieties.  Can you advise what I did wrong?

HI again,

Would there also be a simple way to do a filter on the report to indicate "Top 1" per year?  If it's a text field?

I tried this solution, and I was suprised it didn't work:

I created a column that converted the year to a whole number.

I then set up a filter to show "Bottom N" on the table.  Sometimes it pulled the earliest year per variety, other times it pulled the latest or middle.  

@Unicorn_Tech ,

Could you please share some sample data for further analysis?

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.