Frequent Visitor

Each data refresh gives different data results

Hello,

I created a .PBIX file with a model and it has been working correctly for 3 months. Data sources are SQL Server 2014 and some Excel worksheets.

After updating Power BI Desktop to the latest version, everytime I refresh the data it gives different results and they are always wrong.

I have checked all the queries and the relations between tables and there have been no changes. I have also carried out tests on the data sources with SQL Management Studio and everything is correct.

Everything would suggest that Power BI imports a different number of rows at each refresh (even when I press the refresh button every few seconds), but the table contains always the same (correct) number of rows. It seems that the error is an issue that involves only the Reports.

What could be the reason?

Thank you for any help.

Super User

Re: Each data refresh gives different data results

I would suggest you to use older versions of PowerBI and see if the issue persists. 

You can also send the snapshots of your data to microsoft for further analysis.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
New Contributor

Hi zikas,

Could you please share about your current Power BI desktop version? Check it under File->Help->About. Mine is 2.38.4491.282.

I created some test data under SQL server 2014 database and the refresh is ok at my side. If the Power BI desktop version you currently used is not the latest, then please download the latest version and see if issue insists.

If Version is OK, then enable the trace log under:

File->Options and Settings->Options->GLOBAL->Diagnostics, check the Enable Tracing check box, then refresh the data again. After that, open the trace log file location, upload the log file into OneDrive and post us the shared link here, we will help to take a look.

See my version.

8.PNG

By the way, could you please explain a bit about the "involves only the Reports" here, do you mean refreshing data under Power BI desktop will cause the report Visuals to behave differently?

Regards

Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

@v-micsh-msft Yes, I have installed the 2.38.4491.282 version.

I have enabled the trace and I have refreshed the data, in the traces I found these 3 Errors:

Error 1: EvaluationContainerMain/ExceptionHandler/HandleException,"Exception:
ExceptionType: System.Threading.AbandonedMutexException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
StackTrace:
at System.Threading.WaitHandle.InternalWaitOne(SafeHandle waitableSafeHandle, Int64 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean hasThreadAffinity, Boolean exitContext)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Container.EvaluationContainerMain.WaitForParentExitThread(Object state)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass15.<CreateAction>b__14(Object o)"

Error 2: EvaluationContainerMain/ExceptionHandler/HandleException,"Exception:
ExceptionType: System.IO.EndOfStreamException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
StackTrace:
at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer(Int32 numBytes)
at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadInt32()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.StreamMessenger.Read()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ChannelMessenger.Read(MessageChannel channel)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ChannelMessenger.MessageChannel.Read()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IMessengerExtensions.WaitFor[T](IMessenger messenger, Action`2 handler)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteServiceEnvironment.CreateServiceProxies(IMessenger messenger, IRemoteServiceProxy[]& services)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Container.EvaluationContainerMain.Run(Object args)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass15.<CreateAction>b__14(Object o)"

Error 3: EvaluationContainerMain/ExceptionHandler/HandleException,"Exception:
ExceptionType: System.Threading.AbandonedMutexException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
StackTrace:
at System.Threading.WaitHandle.InternalWaitOne(SafeHandle waitableSafeHandle, Int64 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean hasThreadAffinity, Boolean exitContext)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Container.EvaluationContainerMain.WaitForParentExitThread(Object state)

Anyone has any suggestions? Thank you

New Contributor

Hi zikas,

mscorlib is one of the conponment of .Net Framework, any changes has been made regarding .Net framework? Take a repair or a re-install of .Net Framework on your system.

In addition, could you please share the full log here?

Regards

Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

Hi @v-micsh-msft

I seem to have a very similar issue as posted here.

SQL 2016 and Excel data sources.  Every time I refresh, I get a different result set appearing on my reports.  Some rows are missing, others seem to be duplicated.  Each refresh yields a slightly different result set, and each time it is incorrect.  

I created the model and handed over to a business user late November 2016 year.  About 2 weeks ago the user reported that some historical results kept changing.  I am not sure at which point exactly this issue started, but I am now troubleshooting the issue on Power BI Desktop version 2.42.4611.701 64-bit (January 2017), and getting this strange behaviour consistently.  The user reporting the issue is running the November release, so it seems to be across different versions of PBI Desktop.

Can I go ahead and add to this post, or should I open another thread?  I have the trace logs ready.

Regards

Ina

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am also having issue. Has anyone found the cause or a solution? I am on the latest version of the Power Bi desktop. The data in the query editor is fine and the same number of rows are returned, but everytime I click the Refresh button on the report I get a different result even though the underlying data and report has not changed.

Frequent Visitor

This is indeed really annoying, I am facing same problem since last three day every single time I refresh it gives me different results L I am using Power Bi latest release September. Also using SQl Server 2012, I tried using SQL Server 2016 No change in behavior. Can someone please respond

Frequent Visitor

Hi @Qazafi

Add an "order by" clause to the source query - that solved the problem for me.  The issue only starts once the data volumes get really high.  Power BI seems to run the query twice, getting the first x rows in query 1, and then total-x rows in query 2.  It assumes that the order is the same, and then you get some duplicates and some missing records.

Let me know if that works for you too.

Thanks

Ina

Frequent Visitor

Hi @lizrowden@Qazafi

Below is a link describing the full details of the issue that I had, and how I finally resolved it. 

The conditions under which it occurred are:

- High volume source data 

- Subsequent merge

(note: the query doesn't neccessarily have to return high volume data.  It's the source table size that seems to determine this)

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Power-Query-Merge-yields-inconsistent-results/idi-p/119485

The easiest fix was to add an explicit "order by" clause to my source query.

Hope this helps

Ina