Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

LukeWalker
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

EVALUATE SELECTCOLUMNS() in background slows down report

I've begun using DaxStudio, and I noticed in a larger report of mine that any change is followed by hundreds of iterations of the following query for what seems to be every column:

EVALUATE SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(VALUES(table[column]),LEN(table[column])<=100),"valueColumn", table[column])

Most of these complete in 10-20 milliseconds. This occurs even on a blank page with all report-level filters cleared. However, for a larger table in the model (~1M rows) that requires a unique identifier text column, the query takes almost a minute. I am unsure what is causing this behaviour and whether there is anything that I can do to mitigate it. Unfortunately, I am unable to share the model or table. Does anyone have ideas what I could check or try to fix this?

Regards,

Luke

6 REPLIES 6
leokarpa
Frequent Visitor

same problem here.. anyone solved? 

Please help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you ever figure this out? I am experiencing this same thing.

Any news on this ? I'm experiencing the same issue. 

RMcClen
Regular Visitor

Did you ever figure this out? I'm experiencing the same thing after downloading DAX Studio

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@LukeWalker,

What is your data source and what operations do you take in Query Editor of Power BI Desktop? How do you capture the above query?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

My data source is SQL server. I have ~70 tables, some with quite a number of steps. The above query was captured via Dax Studio.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.