Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dz_bc
Frequent Visitor

ESRI maps are blank...again.

I am trying to use the ESRI map visualization, but it is completely blank when used in the desktop version of Power BI.  I have enabled ESRI map usage in the Options menu and restarted...multiple times.  I did find that the ESRI map DOES work in Power BI Online - after enabling ESRI map usage.

I downloaded/installed Power BI desktop on about 3/23/2018.

I found that this issue was resolved in June-2017 when the API for PBI Desktop was updated from 1.6 to 1.7.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/ArcGIS-not-working-in-desktop/idi-p/189220

Is this same problem happening again?!!!  (please fix asap)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hersrud
Frequent Visitor

I was having the same issue using ESRI/arcgis (althought BING vis was working fine) with multiple powerbi files in the desktop client, it just started about the same time you posted this - following an update, which I'm not sure if it was related or not.  I tried everything from messing with my address formats/data types, switching between X/Y coords etc.  Finally I got them working again by adding PowerBI to my firewall exceptions.  Note that PowerBi analysis services were already in my exceptions list, but that I had to manually add powerbi desktop itself.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
hersrud
Frequent Visitor

I was having the same issue using ESRI/arcgis (althought BING vis was working fine) with multiple powerbi files in the desktop client, it just started about the same time you posted this - following an update, which I'm not sure if it was related or not.  I tried everything from messing with my address formats/data types, switching between X/Y coords etc.  Finally I got them working again by adding PowerBI to my firewall exceptions.  Note that PowerBi analysis services were already in my exceptions list, but that I had to manually add powerbi desktop itself.

dz_bc
Frequent Visitor

This issue was ultimately fixed by making sure that both ESRI and PowerBI were white-listed.

Thanks all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

How did you add ESRI to the whitelist? I can see the ability to white list Power BI Desktop in Control Panel > Windows Defender Firewall > Allowed applications list. I can't see the option to allow ESRI though.

Cheers

Sorry for not replying sooner.

I believe that we had to go through our enterprise-level firewall controls and add the domains for both ESRI and PowerBI to the white-list so that the maps would function properly.

I got this problem. My arcgis maps are blank in old PowerBI files. The map works beautifully in the new PowerBI file - so I assume that is not the firewall issue.

I cannot just make a new file since all my data and models are in the old file. Does anyone have a solution for this? or did anyone succeed with putting Esri into the white-list with the enterprise level and then the map in the old file worked again?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dz_bc,

I check on my side but haven't found other users faced similar issue, maybe you can try to clean up you cache files and try again.

C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\CEF

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the idea.  I cleared all files from my cache folder, but the problem still remains.  The ESRI map is completely empty.  Also, in Focus Mode, the map edit options are gone.

Hi @dz_bc,

Does this issue appears on desktop or service? If on power bi service, I think it may related to power bi data service, please contact to power bi support to know more about this issue.

If this issue appears on desktop, I'd like to suggest you check ports and esri map data service to confirm where caused the issue.
BTW, you can also contact to ESRI team get get further support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.