Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sanjay_akut
Regular Visitor

ERROR: Can't display the visual

I am getting this error message whenever I try to add any data element to the design surface. 

Capture.PNG

This happens to me no matter what data source I use, even when connecting to a simple Excel spreadsheet.  I believe it has to do with my machine being a corporate domain connected computer, and there may be a GPO setting that is not allowing something to work properly.  I notice that when I start Power BI Desktop, I get the following output in my Application log in Event Viewer -

Capture.PNG

With the detail of the error being -

Capture.PNG

I believe that Power BI Desktop spins up a little in-memory OLAP space which it uses as it's workspace, and I think something on my machine is keeping the OLAP service from running.  I just need someone to help point me in the right direction so I can get this resolved.

Thanks so much!

Sanjay

7 REPLIES 7
Y-Goharzad
Regular Visitor

Same Error ! None of them shows !

Hi,

I was facing the same error with all visualizations. Tried using different data sources as well. I tried uninstalling and re-installing, but nothing worked.

Finally, I formatted my laptop and re-installed Power BI and now it is working fine.

tipical Microsoft Solution? 

I tried the same thing and it worked for me until that new machine had group policies applied to it.  This allowed me to narrow it down to some group policy on my domain that is causing the issues since I can disconnect from the domain and clear out policies to make it work.  Then I can reconnect to the domain and it still works until I force a group policy update, then it stops working. 

Has your newly formatted machine had policies applied yet?  You could try a gpupdate to see what happens.

I had the same problem, and eventually found that the reason is because I am running Win 2008 R2 with IE 9. I checked the pre-requisite for powerbi and it stated IE 10 or later. So I:

1. upgrade to Win 2008 R2 SP1

2. upgrade to IE 11.

And the resolve the issue.

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I believe that Power BI Desktop uses the IE10 display engine.

You need at least IE10 installed for it to be able to display visualizations.

vanessa
Post Patron
Post Patron

Facing the same issue. Need help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors