Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nd123456

EDX training - unable to open "Lab 2 - Starting.pbix" file

Hi,

I am undergoing edx training and downloaded the lab2 file from https://github.com/MicrosoftLearning/Analyzing-Visualizing-Data-PowerBI/blob/master/Lab2/Lab%202%20-...

Whenever I try to open the lab file from powerBI desktop, I get a frown error. Details are as follows. Any suggestions?

1.png

Error Details

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2017-07-15T15:55:52.7281546Z

Local Time:
2017-07-15T17:55:52.7281546+02:00

Product Version:
2.48.4792.721 (PBIDesktop) (x86)

Release:
July 2017

IE Version:

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.14393.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.6.2. or later [Release Number = 394802]

Peak Working Set:
185 MB

Private Memory:
180 MB

Peak Virtual Memory:
752 MB

Error Message:
Argument is not valid.

Stack Trace:
System.ArgumentException: Argument is not valid. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: filePath
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Models.Verify.NotNull[T](T value, String argumentName)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.JsonLocalFileHistoryEntry.Validate()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Models.Verify.Validate(IValidatable value, String argumentName)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Models.Verify.Validate(IValidatable value, String argumentName)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Models.Verify.ValidateArray[T](T[] array, Boolean validateElementsNotNull, String argumentName)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Models.Verify.ArrayIfNotNull[T](T[] array, String argumentName, Boolean validateElementsNotNull)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.JsonSerializer.DeserializeArrayOrNull[T](String json)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.JsonSerializer.<>c__DisplayClass7`1.<DeserializeArray>b__6()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.JsonSerializer.HandleDeserializationExceptions[T](Func`1 action, String json, Boolean includeValueInException)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.JsonSerializer.DeserializeArray[T](String json, Boolean includeValueInException)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileHistoryManager.Initialize()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Models.HistoryEntryManager`1.AddEntry(T entry)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(WindowsHost windowsHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, IPowerBIStringProvider stringProvider, String filePath, PBIWinLoadPBIAppAction loadEvent, Report& report, String& importFromExcelFilePath, String& templateFilePath, String& autoRecoveredFilePath, ReportUpgradeResult& upgradeResult)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassd.<Main>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Nullable`1 errorCode, String requestId, Exception exception)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.SendAndMarshalExceptions(SynchronizationContext context, Action callback)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prakash_gautam
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

I just downloaded the 'Lab 2 - Starting' folder and opened the .pbix file with no error.
I had also opened this file successfully when I was doing this cource from EDX 6 month ago.

The error log also does not provide clear hints. What you can do are:

- See if you can open other pbix file or create a new one
- Re-install Power BI desktop
- Resolve the Data Sources references for the 'Lab 2 - Starting.pbix' file. Plese see the screen below:

data-sources.png

Click 'Change Source' for each of the 3 data sources and specify/browse to the 'DAT207x' folder.

Thanks,
Prakash

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prakash_gautam
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

I just downloaded the 'Lab 2 - Starting' folder and opened the .pbix file with no error.
I had also opened this file successfully when I was doing this cource from EDX 6 month ago.

The error log also does not provide clear hints. What you can do are:

- See if you can open other pbix file or create a new one
- Re-install Power BI desktop
- Resolve the Data Sources references for the 'Lab 2 - Starting.pbix' file. Plese see the screen below:

data-sources.png

Click 'Change Source' for each of the 3 data sources and specify/browse to the 'DAT207x' folder.

Thanks,
Prakash

Thanks Prakash.

I Uninstalling/reinstalling didn't help. I was able to work with other PowerBI files normally but not this one. I will get that error immediately upon opening the file and there is no possiblity to change any settings.

However your answer prompted me to change one thing. I was having the file in my downloads. I realized that may be it should be moved to C:\DAT207x folder. Strange enough, but it worked. It seems some kind of hardcoded dependency inside the file.

Cheers.

Hi nd123456. I'm trying to track down a repro for this bug, and I was just wondering if you're still able to reproduce it (perhaps by moving the file back to your downloads folder?).

If you are, I'm wondering if you could share a screenshot of what you see if you click your Recent Sources button, as well as the list of recent pbix/pbit files that appears in the Welcome Dialog and/or the File menu.

Thanks,

Ehren

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.