Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Parihar1980
Helper II
Helper II

EDIT QUERY TAB DISABLE ALONG WITH MANY OPTION

Please help me to fix this issue.

I want to use parameter in my report but no tsure why "EDIT QUERY" option i sshowing disable along with many other filed.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What kind of source are you connected to via Power BI desktop? When this is based on direct query on a SSAS multi-dimensional model, most options are disabled. This is because you use a model outside of Power BI desktop so changes need to be done there.

Also for direct query to a SSAS tabular model or directquery on a database there are features disabled. For parameters you need to switch to import mode 

DQ.JPG

hello Mate, 

Thanks for ffedback. I am connecting to Tabular Model and this is my Data source. I want to use Parameter in my Report but I am not able to use since "Edit Query setting tab" is showing disable in Desktop client.

EditQueryDisable.JPG

Please suggest.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As described using parameters requires that data is imported into Power BI desktop. Switching from direct query to direct query will solve the issue and enable parameters but you will lose the benefits of directly connecting to a cube... so you need to redo calculations etc.

My suggestion would be to write down what you want to accomplish using parameters and try to solve this in your analysis services project. 

Sir thanks but how can we use parametere in Tabular model . This parametre is for specific report condition can u elaborate on that 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Parameters do not exist in the tabular model, what are you trying to accomplish? There might be other solutions

I have to use dynamic value for Year. The year value i am using in 2 type of Report level filter. I want when I select Filter 1 value so based on that my second filter also shows the value on 1st select Filter value. 

@Parihar1980

In Power BI Desktop, if you want to load entire Tabular model, you have to connect live. Once open a live connection to Tabular, you can't use any query parameter. 

Based on your description, you only need this "parameter" for cascading filtering data. You can put those two fields into two slicers. If you select in one slicer, the other one will be filtered based on your selection in first slicer . 

Regards,

Hello Simon, 

Thanks for your feedback but i am new to Power BI. You said "connect live". what exactly means that ? 

I have created a tabular model with some calculated filed and measures and i want use this model in my no. of report so in case of Dynamic value require can't we use this Model . 

IF yes then in which case i can use Parameter or other studd which is showing disable.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.