Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DNettem
Frequent Visitor

Dynamics Custom Fields Label and Value Display

Hi All,

I connected CRM Dynamics Online on to Power BI desktop version and I'm trying to display the name values of custom fields that are created on the account side.

I have created a custom field that looks at customer type, such as contractor, CC account, etc.

P21Field.jpg

When I connect to Power BI and pull the field it displays the value instead of the label.

PowerBIVis.jpg

Is there a way to change this so that it will display the label name instead?

As a work around I created an excel sheet with the label and values and linked them to get it to display.  It works for now, but it's not a viable solution in the long run for continual build-out.

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@DNettem wrote:

Hi All,

I connected CRM Dynamics Online on to Power BI desktop version and I'm trying to display the name values of custom fields that are created on the account side.

I have created a custom field that looks at customer type, such as contractor, CC account, etc.

P21Field.jpg

When I connect to Power BI and pull the field it displays the value instead of the label.

PowerBIVis.jpg

Is there a way to change this so that it will display the label name instead?

As a work around I created an excel sheet with the label and values and linked them to get it to display.  It works for now, but it's not a viable solution in the long run for continual build-out.

@DNettem

I'd guess that might be some limitation. Can you go to "query editor" to see if the label contains in the source? By the way, how you link excel to Dynamics CRM?

Capture.PNG

Hi Eric,

I do not have labels in the system, it only shows the number value instead in the query editor for accounts.

I found this post which shows that you can connect through the picklistmapping:

https://community.dynamics.com/crm/b/scaleablesolutionsblog/archive/2016/03/25/map-dynamics-crm-opti...

However, it brings over all values of all the custom fields.  Microsoft assigns the same values based on custom fields so I can have 1000001 come up under three different custom fields under accounts.  So, Power BI cannot create a relationship to the field since it is not unique.  I'm attempting to see if I can create an entity for each to appropriatley assign the labels.  Another work-around I found is to concat the fields within Power BI which allows for a unique ID to link to.  This is still requires hands on work in the query editor which I'm trying to avoid, outside of just assigning it to display the label.

I did not connect the Excel file into Dynamics.  I created an excel table with the IDs and label names, connected it to Power BI, and then established the relationship in Power BI.

Hello! I have the same problem and it is very frustrating. 

Did you end up finding an automatic solution that fixes this issue?

I would apprecaite an update from you. 

Thank you

Natalie Zheleznova, TEAM International 

nataliez@teaminternational.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.