Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

maverick512
Regular Visitor

Dynamics 365 operations reporting

We are deploying D365 operations /AX7.  I downloaded content packs for D365 operations from LCS. Yet it seems the content packs only support direct query mode, which means I have to develop reports on the ERP server literally. Using direct query mode also means D365 needs to have the entity store (SQL db) set up as well. Am I missing anything here? It seems basically, I can't develop D365 reports using my local PC and desktop tool at all, everything has to be on the ERP server, since entity store is not reachable from my desktop.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @maverick512,

In Power BI Desktop, when using DirectQuery mode to connect to SQL Server data source, all the data must come from same database, and we are not able to combine DirectQuery mode and import mode in a single PBIX file.

If you want to combine data from different SQL Server databases in a single PBIX file, you can switch DirectQuery mode to Import mode by clicking “Direct Query: Enabled (click to change)” on the status bar bottom right corner.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I have just assumed that Dynamics is platformed on SQL Server - and that one could connect PBI desktop to Views..... and that Dynamics 365 was the web version and therefore platformed on Azure SQL Server....so much the same....    am hoping this is the case as I expect to get involved in this and would be interested in a preview of linking to the Server views.

www.CahabaData.com
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you use the content packs in the Power BI Service?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Haven't gone that far yet.  You are correct, it is really just reporting against an azure sql server db. 

https://ax.help.dynamics.com/en/wiki/power-bi-content-from-microsoft-and-your-partners/

I'm just following the tutorial above.  When I run the content pack from the BI desktop, I get following error: 

Combining DirectQuery and imported data isn't supported

any ideas how to fix that? 

Hi @maverick512,

In Power BI Desktop, when using DirectQuery mode to connect to SQL Server data source, all the data must come from same database, and we are not able to combine DirectQuery mode and import mode in a single PBIX file.

If you want to combine data from different SQL Server databases in a single PBIX file, you can switch DirectQuery mode to Import mode by clicking “Direct Query: Enabled (click to change)” on the status bar bottom right corner.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, can you please confirm that the route to publish PowerBI content to the Prod environment via LCS is still going to work if the model is changed to an Import Model? 

Thanks, Dan

This is not a good solution because then the online reports are not refreshed.

To make the reports work with Direct query you need to do the following:

- Open the report on BI desktop

- go directly to Edit Queries

- From the Edit Queries change the Data Source Settings to the correct one: .\axDW.

- Do Refresh Preview on all queries.

- Apply and close. then the reports will work with direct query mode.

Any other route I've tried of changing the data source ended with errors. this is the only way that worked.direcquery.png

I found this thread looking for an answer to another question, but you may have some input to me. 

What is the update frequency of the content packs? With direct query against an entity in D365FO, is it close to live data?

Thank you 🙂

use the content packs in the Power BI Service - not desktop

and then a content pack is a content pack - - one can't customize the data modeling (I don't think...)

am no expert in content packs by any means so just parroting back what I've read here......

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.