Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamically select a list for Table.RenameColumns

Hi Folks

It is possible to pass a value as a variable (no parameters please) from Power BI to Power Query? 

Here the context:

I have a few tables (7) which I want to translate the column names depending on the user's selection and let's say I have 1 list for each of headers translated in English, Spanish and French (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJryD2dXVVw) I want to be able to select a specific list (with the translated names) depending on the selected language in Power BI. I DON'T want to use parameters as per the original process because we believe it is not user friendly (Especially when the report gets published to the Service)

How do I make the second parameter in Table.RenameColumns dynamic?

---------

Countries_Sheet = Source{[Item="Countries",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Countries_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"CountryID", Int64.Type}, {"CountryName", type text}, {"CountryISOCode", type text}}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",Country_HeadersFRENCH)

-----------

it is possible to pass that as a value?

I am aware that when I do switch (update) column names my visualizations will break but I will be toggling between visualizations (using Bookmarks & the Selection panel) but I want to deal with one problem at a time. could you please help? 

TIA!!!! really!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

close but not yet there. The first link works only with the PBI desktop and we definitely need to make it work in the service.

I also checked the video and it basically uses parameters to translate the metadata.

I have nailed down a solution but need to be able to identify the user id in Power Query 😞 but the following approach wont work because I don't think the local user will work in powerbi.com

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Get-username-in-Power-Query/td-p/972626

Any ideas on how I can read the value of a measure in Power Query? is there any way to hack or fake a measure (

USERPRINCIPALNAME()) as a column visible in PQ? I read somewhere that it might be possible to do some sort of transform to transpose this as a column?
the reason why is because I have a SQL server table in PQ as follows: 
[User ID] [Language Saved]
John.Doe, English
Francoise.Effeil, French
Carlos.Sanchez, Spanish

I thought of saving the user Id in another table (let's say John.Doe) and filter the first table my merging the two tables and get a table like:
UserID, Language
John.Doe, English.

Since I am now able to use "English" to change the columns to English. any suggestions on how I can get the user name in M or filter the table for the currently logged user in the Service? Highly appreciated!
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ImkeF , any advice on that.

Hi @Anonymous ,
there is no solution for exact this behaviour that would also work in the Power BI service. 
(There is a hack for Power BI Desktop, but this will not work in the service: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/03/22/use-slicers-for-query-parameters-in-powerbi/)

If you have Power BI Premium, you can use XMLA endpoints for multilanguage solutions.

Also, please check out this video: https://www.csgpro.com/blog/2019/01/multi-language-support-capabilities-in-power-bi/ 

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.