Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hawb
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamically populate Rows/Columns in a data visual through a Slicer

1.) I would like to have a slicer that lists all the column names in a table

2.) When I select a colum name value in the slicer, I want to dynamically display the Count and Percent of Total for the selected column in a Power BI visual (a table for example).

Is this possible? 

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks so much!  That did the trick, I had no idea that was an option.

Mike

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi hawb,

In Edit Queries, click columns from Q1 to Q24, click Transform-> Unpivot Columns, this will transform all column names to values in a new column, then create a slicer based on that new column.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Jimmy,

So your solution works great for generating the source for a filter list.  But, ultimately what I want to do is select a value from the slicer, and have it display the values & counts for the selected field.   For instance, if I select Q12 from the filter, I want to see the unique values in the Q12 data field as well as the counts for each unique value.  If I select Q13, the I want to see unique values and counts for Q13, etc.  But, in this case, the slicer only feeds the field name to the table.  If I summarize (i.e. Count) it will simply show 1 row with the total number of records in the dataset instead of all the unique values in that data field.  Make sense? 

Am I missing something? Is it possible?

Thanks!

Ugg. Nevermind. I didnt realize unpivoting produced 2 columns including a value column.  Using the value column provides what I need. 

Thanks so much!  That did the trick, I had no idea that was an option.

Mike

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.