Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamically export pages to PDF based on slicer values

I am looking for a way to dynamically loop through values of a slicer and extract all pages of the dashboard for that value and then move on to the next value until it reaches the end of the slicer values. The closest I have been able to find so far is Play Axis dynamic slicer however I do not see a feature to run this on command via Power Automate flows.

The scenario is like this:

* I have 4 pages in my dashboard, the first page being hidden and containing only slicers and an execute button

* The execute button would be triggered from Power Automate flow to start the loop process

* The loop process will apply the filter values in sequential order and extract the 3 visible dashboard pages to PDF and save to the directory that is specified and send the dashboard to the contact that corresponds with that slicer value.

* When the end of the slicer values has been reached, the Power Automate flow will end

* The execute button could also be invoked manually if Power Automate is not preferred

I have read previously online that either R script or M formulae can be used to loop through filter values and extract to PDF, however I have not been able to find this documentation for a couple of years.

If anyone has done this type of reporting, your input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

14 REPLIES 14
rohithkothaneth
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello @Anonymous,

I'm in a similar scenario, where I looking to export my report pages to PDF based on the dynamic slection of the filter, populate the visuals accordingly and then loop through values in the slicer list and perform the same action untill end of the slicer list.
Any luck in finding an option other than the alternate approach that you took?

Thanks,
Rohith

I have a solution to this issue if people are looking for one.  You can find it in the belwo post -https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Dynamically-export-the-report-pages-to-PDF-based-on-slicer-value/m-p/3508227/thread-id/1159568#M1162164

Hi Rohith,

I'm in a similar situation, and I'm wondering if you can achive this with only a powerbi pro license. Thank you!

Hi @powerbi00 
There are two options , first option you will need to premium license for the Power BI report to be used inside the Power automate.
Second one would be, if you have an Azure tennat use the Power BI embeded capacity resource group and tag your Power Bi service workspace with the Power Bi embeded capacity resource. In this case, you can work with Power Bi Pro license.

You can check the solution in my below post -https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Dynamically-export-the-report-pages-to-PDF-based-on-slicer-value/m-p/3508227/thread-id/1159568#M1162164

Thank you!

BipinLala26
Frequent Visitor

Did you find the solution @Anonymous ?

I was also looking for something similar, I have a slicer on Page 1, which I use for page navigation. Only those pages get filtered/populated in the slicer for which some data exists, and then selecting the page in the slicer and using a button helps me to navigate to that page.

Now, I want to generate a PDF of only those pages that get populated in the Page Navigation slicer. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BipinLala26 I have not found a solution for this and ended up going a different route from Power Automate altogether. My alternate solution is not optimal, but I had to make a quick decision so I created multiple dashboards to suffice for now until a more permanent solution is found.

Apologies that I do not have a better answer at this time. If I find the solution that we are looking for, I will gladly post it back here. 

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

I find some offical blogs about export report by Power Automate flow. I hope they could help you.

For reference:

Export and email a Power BI report with Power Automate

Trigger a cloud flow from any Power BI report

Trigger flows from Power BI reports

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickl

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-rzhou-msft Thanks for posing your solution, and apologies for the very late reply. I have tried all of these things, but I still have not got this working yet. When I try to generate a Power BI report using a filter in Power Automate, it either gives an error that the criteria is not recognized or the report simply never arrives in my email. I have a temporary solution in place now until a more permanent solution is found.

Hi Amper! Would you please share your temporary solution? 
I'm looking for something very similar to your case. Every month I pull around 100 pdf from specific slicers so it will be tremendously helpful if I can get a fully or semi automate solution.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Esmat86 In my case, I decided to create summary dashboards with the high-level information that did not require page breaks and export them to PDF and post to a Teams directory for consumption. Within the PDFs I have links to an expanded form of the reports on the Power BI service that is hosted on an internal server. That way, the audience that is sufficed by summary reports need not wade through pages of data, but has a high-level summary. Then the audience that would like to audit the underlying data can follow the links from the PDF docs to the service and do their analysis there.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Thank you! this is a brilliant way but unfortunately, I can't apply that in my case.

Has anyone found a solution to exporting while going through all of the slicer options? Hopefuly, MS is listening since this would be a great feature and I've seen many requests on the web.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@remichel As posted on 26-Jan, I used an alternate solution to get around this limitation. I have since been informed that this can be accomplished using Power Automate however I was not able to get it to work for my purposes. You might search for resources around this subject and find what you need.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.