Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Optimusprime_25
Resolver I
Resolver I

Dynamically change the single select value of a slicer based on a group to which user has access to.

Hi Team,

@amitchandak , @v-rongtiep-msft 

we have 3 different report users

• HQ
  • Region
  • Country

We also have two groups which are "ABC" and "XYZ"

Above users may have access to only group either "ABC" or "XYZ" or both groups.

We have a Group slicer in the report, which we are publishing it with Single Select option as ABC.

When any user logs in who have access only to ABC or both groups they can be able to see the data.

We are facing issue when the user logs in who has access only to XYZ group, they cannot see the data. They are able to see blank visuals why because we have published the report with single select option by selecting ABC as default filter.

Can we change the single select group filter value based on user's access to the group.

Note: This is the user requirement, we cannot change the single select to multi select and select all options

could you please let me know how to proceed on this.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Optimusprime_25
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello All,

We have resolved this issue of dynamically changing the slicer default value for which user has access.

We have used custom visual  Chiclet Slicer in the report. By which we can force the default value in the slicer for whoch the logged in user has.

Optimusprime_25_0-1680177698984.png

Frome the above requirement when the user who has access to ABC group then they will see ABC as their default slicer value. Same goes with the users who has access to XYZ group. When the users who has access to both ABC and XYZ groups, they will see ABC as their default value in the slicer.

Earlier with the normal slicer visual, we couldn't deselct the slicer value, but now it has been eradicated by using chiclet slicer.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Optimusprime_25
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello All,

We have resolved this issue of dynamically changing the slicer default value for which user has access.

We have used custom visual  Chiclet Slicer in the report. By which we can force the default value in the slicer for whoch the logged in user has.

Optimusprime_25_0-1680177698984.png

Frome the above requirement when the user who has access to ABC group then they will see ABC as their default slicer value. Same goes with the users who has access to XYZ group. When the users who has access to both ABC and XYZ groups, they will see ABC as their default value in the slicer.

Earlier with the normal slicer visual, we couldn't deselct the slicer value, but now it has been eradicated by using chiclet slicer.

Thanks.

Thanks for the custom visual suggestion. That really helped.

Sahir_Maharaj
Super User
Super User

Hello @Optimusprime_25,

Yes, it is possible to change the single select group filter value based on the user's access to the group. One way to do this is to use role-based security in Power BI.

First, you can create two roles in the Power BI report: one for users who have access to the "ABC" group, and another for users who have access to the "XYZ" group. You can then assign users to these roles based on their group access.

Next, you can create two versions of the report, one for each role. In the "ABC" report, the group slicer will be set to "ABC" by default, while in the "XYZ" report, the group slicer will be set to "XYZ" by default.

Finally, you can use Power BI's row-level security (RLS) feature to restrict access to the appropriate report version based on the user's role. This will ensure that users can only see the report version that corresponds to their group access.

Hope this helps!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a "Kudos" 🙂

Kind Regards,
Sahir Maharaj
Data Scientist | Data Engineer | Data Analyst | AI Engineer
P.S. Want me to build your Power BI solution?
➤ Lets connect on LinkedIn: Join my network of 13K+ professionals
➤ Join my free newsletter: Data Driven: From 0 to 100
➤ Website: https://sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Email: sahir@sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Want me to build your Power BI solution? Lets chat about how I can assist!
➤ Join my Medium community of 30K readers! Sharing my knowledge about data science and artificial intelligence
➤ Explore my latest project (350K+ views): Wordlit.net
➤ 100+ FREE Power BI Themes: Download Now
LinkedIn Top Voice in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Machine Learning

Hello @Sahir_Maharaj 

Thanks for your prompt response.

Our requirement is to have only one report, not different versions of the report.

We have already setup RLS in the report based on Group's ABC, XYZ and both ABC&XYZ.

Our requirement is when the HQ user(ABC & XYZ) opens the report they should see the report with default single select filter as ABC and they should also see the XYZ value in the filter to change or to see XYZ data in the report.

Whereas, when ABC users opens the report they should see the report with ABC data and similarly with the XYZ as well.

Our main challenge is to dynamically change the selected slicer value.

Optimusprime_25_0-1678946981662.png

Our challenege is to deselct the selected filter value.

Optimusprime_25_1-1678947041683.png

Thanks in advance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors