Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sublog
Helper III
Helper III

Dynamically change measure's format in visual (line chart) using switch?

I have a line chart that I am using a switch statement to select two different groups of measures. One is a whole number and the other is in currency. 

Is there a way to have the chart automatically change to currency when a measure is selected that should be in currency and switch back? 

Here's my measure. 

Select =
IF (
HASONEVALUE ( _Daily[Sort] ),
SWITCH ( VALUES ( _Daily[Sort] ), 1, ( [Orders $] ), 2, [Orders #] )
)

4 REPLIES 4
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@sublog 

Format cannot be changed in a DAX measure. But you may drag both measures to Values and let one of the two return BLANK () based on the selection.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Would you mind explaining a bit more what you mean by this? How do I make one of the two measures return blank(), when the other is selected? 

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Use the FORMAT() function like this

Format Test = var tempsum = SUM('Table 2'[Value])
return if(tempsum>5, FORMAT(tempsum, "Currency"), FORMAT(tempsum, "Percent"))

You can adapt for your measures.  There are pre-defined ones (like above or you can do custom).

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

I tried this, but I can't figure out how to make it show in the line chart visual. It won't even allow me to move the measure to the Values. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.