Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Urid1969
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamically change data source

Hello

We are about to develop report to the five clients that each has its own SQL Server (5 counties) with the diff database name BUT identical schema. We have a table that contains the server name , db name ,login and pass for each client , But question is we need to have a content pack for them  to be publlish and they need to lunch a report and get the data obviously related to the client ... Is that possible to  implement such logic in Services?  Can someone share some examples? Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not sure you can have the users select the server and it change dynamically. If your using the cloud version then you cannot change parameters on a published report.

The only way that would work is if you had 5 sets of queries for each of the server/dbs that are all merged and then filtered by the users or using row level security.

The other option is a sort of menu that links them to the relevant dashboard based on the selection.

Download the SSIS Dashboard for my example and look at the queries for an example of a parameterised Server and db.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
stretcharm
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

HI,

I use parameters for all my connections. You can see an example of parameterised queries from different sources

in my SSIS Dashboard.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Data-Stories-Gallery/SSIS-Catalog-DB-Dashboard/td-p/244677

Note changing server or database will need the security confirmed again.

I tend to have a test version then when it's complete I save as a template.

I then create a new version with the parameters changed from the template for each of our SSIS Servers. Similarily you can publish a new version to each workspace/content pack in the cloud.

Hi

I need to parameterize   server name and the db name, can you show some example?  We would want  the users to choose the server name and dbs name  but just lunch the dash and get related to them data/report

Not sure you can have the users select the server and it change dynamically. If your using the cloud version then you cannot change parameters on a published report.

The only way that would work is if you had 5 sets of queries for each of the server/dbs that are all merged and then filtered by the users or using row level security.

The other option is a sort of menu that links them to the relevant dashboard based on the selection.

Download the SSIS Dashboard for my example and look at the queries for an example of a parameterised Server and db.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.