Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamically Select Table

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping what I would like to do is possible and I will do my best to explain it, so here it goes.

I have multiple excel files, all are formatted the exact same way. For example:

File 1 - Bob report.xlsx

Column AColumn BColumn CColumn DColumn E
1Aa#-

File 2 - James report.xlsx

Column AColumn BColumn CColumn DColumn E
2Bb$_

What I would like to do is create a dashboard with various graphs pulling the data from the different columns. How it would work is as follows:

There is a slicer with the names Bob and James. If I select Bob, Bob's data will appear across the graphs. If I select James, James's data will appear across the graphs.

Is dynamically switching between tables and the data from them possible? If so, how would one do that?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Avantika-Thakur
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Anonymous ,

There are multiple ways you can achieve this -
1) By creating Buttons with names of Bob and James and each view will have a repective bookmark with their respective data which will change based on button selection

2) By appending the data tables for Bob and James and having an additional column defining which data is for Bob and which one for James. Then with the click of slicer the data will get replaced within the same visual.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Avantika Thakur

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Avantika-Thakur
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Anonymous ,

There are multiple ways you can achieve this -
1) By creating Buttons with names of Bob and James and each view will have a repective bookmark with their respective data which will change based on button selection

2) By appending the data tables for Bob and James and having an additional column defining which data is for Bob and which one for James. Then with the click of slicer the data will get replaced within the same visual.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Avantika Thakur

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Avantika-Thakur,

Thanks for the response. I will give these methods a try.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.