Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dynamically Filtering Table Records by Parameter

Hi!  Would like to ask for some help with something if anyone is willing...

I've developed the underlying data to do some rather nice Pareto analysis.
Pareto.PNG

Now as a second part of this, I have a grid that is intended to show records that equal or exceed a certain percentile value.  The first slicer from the top left is intended to filter which records are ACTUALLY SHOWN in the grid below (not modifying any measures!)
By the numbers.PNG

The best solution I could think of is to filter the source data table for the selected percentile value and then base the grid off the resulting table (either FILTER or CALCULATETABLE results in the same thing).  Problem is that the table doesn't change dynamically.  Meaning that if I decide to look at the 75th percentile (instead of the 85th percentile as shown in the pic), the table is intended to recalculate and present a new set of data based on the new filter criteria.

DAX code...

FilteredParetoData = 
    FILTER(
        ParetoData,
        ParetoData[TotalRevenuePercentile] >= Percentile[Percentile Value]
    )

Whenever the percentile value changes, the table does not dynamically recreate the table...it uses to the default value of the Percentile parameter (85).  Could anyone provide any suggestions on how to get the table to dynamically repopulate itself and by extension the grid?

Thanks in advance!  🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Who wants to hear the most overthought question ever?

I didn't need to dynamically filter to populate anything.  I needed a slicer to filter in/out what wasn't necessary.  I'm an idiot and I'm sorry to waste your time...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @littlemojopuppy

First, you should know that
1. Calculation column/table not support dynamic changed based on filter or slicer.
2. Measure can be affected by filter/slicer, so you can use it to get dynamic summary result.
here is reference:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Different-between-calculated-column-and-measure-Using-SUM/t...
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/calculated-columns-and-measures-in-dax/

Second, Here is the tutorial of Parameters in Power BI Edit Queries for you to refer to

and it couldn't drag into a slicer.
reference:https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4475/using-parameters-in-power-bi/

Third, for you requirement, you may try to use “all” functions in DAX: ALL, ALLEXCEPT, ALLSELECTED to create the measure for it.

Best Regards,
Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you...I read on Friday that tables are not effected by filters.

Who wants to hear the most overthought question ever?

I didn't need to dynamically filter to populate anything.  I needed a slicer to filter in/out what wasn't necessary.  I'm an idiot and I'm sorry to waste your time...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.