Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shubuya
Frequent Visitor

Dynamically Filter a Calendar Table based on Start & End Date from Slicer

I am trying to use the 'MonthNameLong' and 'Year' from a disconnected table but I don't know the best practice and/ or simplest way. The end user will select both to act as the end date, and another slicer has YTD & MTD. This last day of that particular period (e.g. December 2010 = 12/31/2010 or 'EOMonth') is needed to dynamically filter the dates of a Calendar Table.

Disconnected Table:

Capture.JPG

Example:

User selects Month Slicer 1: 'December' and Year Slicer 2: '2010' and Period Slicer 3: 'YTD' 

This measure calculates the End Date ->
Date Selector = VALUES('Date Selector'[EOMonth])
 = "12/31/2010"

SWITCH Function picks the appropriate formula->

Measure SWITCH = IF(HASONEFILTER(period[Period]),
SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE(period[Period]),
"MTD", 'Table1'[Measure 1 MTD],
"YTD", 'Table1'[Measure 2 YTD]
),
BLANK()
)

How do I write this formula to capture YTD December 2010? ->

Measure 2 YTD = TOTALYTD([Count], 'Calendar'[Date])

I created the disconnected table to avoid the 'Month' & 'Year' slicers from selecting a single month in the Calendar Table, but maybe my logic wasn't correct. Please help!

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shubuya - I think you should be slicing on the date table, instead of a disconnected table. The MTD or YTD will alter the filter context, so that you will end up with the appropriate dates for your calculation. 

I forgot to mention a critical part of why I didn't use the Calendar Table for the slicers:

I was not able to get this formula to create a line chart with the running totals (filtered YTD December 2010):

Departures Running Total =
CALCULATE(
    [Count YTD],
    FILTER(
        ALL('Calendar'[Date]),
        ISONORAFTER('Calendar'[Date], MAX('Calendar'[Date]), DESC)
    )
)

I need this chart to scale and show only the running total for a given interval, in this example of YTD: 1/1/2010 to 12/31/2010. The running total needs to capture the ending value as a starting point to sum the running total each period until the end date. So for example if 12/31/2009 had a total accumulated total of 59, then the line chart would need to start at 59 on 1/1/2010, incrementing until the end date of 12/31/2010.
Capture.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shubuya - Since you are considering values from previous years, you don't want to use a YTD calculation. You're looking for something more like:

Departures Running Total =
var displaydate = MAX('Calendar'[Date])
return
CALCULATE(
    <Count Measure (Not YTD)>,
    'Calendar'[Date] <= displaydate 
)

Thanks for your help - I think I am close, but when I use the formula you provided the chart is not scaling to show the dates 1/1/2015 to 12/31/2015. How do I edit your formula to only show that date interval?

Capture.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shubuya - The Year and Month for the Slicers and for the Line chart all need to come from the Date table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.