Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dreyz64
Helper III
Helper III

Dynamically Changing a Display column based on parameters (like in Tableau)

Hi everyone,

I am new to Power BI coming over from Tableau.

I am trying to reproduce a quite easy functionality from Tableau into Power BI but am failing miserably...

In Tableau, I was using so that the user could select what column to show:

2020-01-22_11-02-50.jpg

2020-01-22_11-03-14.jpg2020-01-22_10-53-48.jpg

I would like to do this as well in Power BI. Measures are all calculated the same so it is really the data columns that are changing.

I created a separate table 'Fields to Show' with a column called Granularity. The column Granularity contains 2 rows: Location and POS (eg. Shop).

I am now trying to create a calculated column in my main table 'Daily COT' which would either be empty if 'Location' is selected in the table 'Fields to Show' or show the values of the column 'POS' in the Daily COT Table:

Column to Show = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Fields to Show'[Granularity]) = "POS", 'Daily COT'[POS],BLANK())

However it does not take any of the values, it either takes POS (regardless of the filter) or blank.

Could you please help?

Thanks a lot

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @dreyz64 

You can not change columns dynamically in power BI. you have do it manually which column needs to be displayed in your visual.

one way to do is

https://powerpivotpro.com/2018/01/dynamic-attributes-power-bi-report/

Thanks & regards,
Pravin Wattamwar
www.linkedin.com/in/pravin-p-wattamwar

If I resolve your problem Mark it as a solution and give kudos.

Thanks Pravin,

Will have a look and come back to you if I have any questions!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.