Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KadinS
Frequent Visitor

Dynamically Changing Graph Data Based on Matrix Selections

Hi all! I'm trying to dynamically choose what data is showing in graphs, with a pre-set details. For example, if I have a data set like this:

KadinS_0-1600401476903.png

I want to be able to select a category value from a matrix, and have that filter a pie chart (for example). However, where it gets tricky is that I want the pie chart to (by default) be filtered to a pre-determined category already. For instance:

• When nothing in the matrix is selected, the pie chart only shows rows with the Alpha category. 
  • When Alpha is selected in the matrix, the pie chart shows rows with the Alpha category.
  • When Beta is selected in the matrix, the pie chart shows rows with the Beta category.
  • When Delta is selected in the matrix, the pie chart shows rows with the Delta category.

My work so far is available in this file: Example. I've created two measures which allow me to determine which category is selected (_SelectedCategory), and another that I was trying to use as a filter for the graph (_PieGraphFilter). Unfortunately, I've had no luck and have hit a bit of a wall.

Any advice on how to approach this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hello @KadinS

For your case, the category must come from two matrix and pie chart tables

You can try this sample pbix file.

Best regards

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hello @KadinS

For your case, the category must come from two matrix and pie chart tables

You can try this sample pbix file.

Best regards

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@KadinS , is filtered and has one value that should able to help you.

A measure like this on pie visual

if(isfiltered(Table[Category]), [Measure], calculate([measure], table[Category] ="Alpha"))

Also, refer: https://powerpivotpro.com/2013/03/hasonevalue-vs-isfiltered-vs-hasonefilter/

Hi @amitchandak, thanks for your speedy response.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean sorry. Referring to the example P.BI report, is Table[Category] meant to represent Source[Category] or Categories[Category] (where Source is the raw data, and Categories table with the unique categories [which I'm using for the Row Labels in the matrix]). And which [Measure] are you referring to?

Not sure if it's worth mentioning the Data Model I have set up as well, that simulates what's going on in my actual (non-example) report.

Thanks for your time.

@KadinS , I have not seen your file yet. Somehow did not notice the link for the first time. The solution is based on the assumption that table and pie has a common category which is used and we want to filter that 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.