Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic tab/page level security

Hello, 

I am trying to find a way to dynamically hide/show tabs in a Power BI report.   I am aware of RLS and would use this but in this case we are outlining a report at different levels: so for example, one tab would show enterprise level data while another, department level data.  We want the user with the assigned access to only see their tab.  So a CEO can see enterprise and dept tabs and a dept manager would only see the department level data tab.  Using RLS could be part of the equation, but wouldn't fully do it because we wouldn't a dept manager to go into enterprise tab and make incorrect conclusions.

So, is there a way to dynamically hide/show tabs like this?  Or any clever workarounds? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I found an idea for the requirement. Maybe you could vote up to get it fixed quickly.

Page (Tab) level Security. 

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Refer to this blog

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/page-tab-level-security-conditional-navigation-power-bi-a%25C5%259F%25C4%25B1ro%25C4%259Flu/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nandukrishnavs thanks for the link! this is super helpful 

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Would you mind accept the helpful replies as solutions? Then we are able to close the thread. More people who have the same requirement will find the solution quickly and benefit here.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I found an idea for the requirement. Maybe you could vote up to get it fixed quickly.

Page (Tab) level Security. 

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

It is possible with Power BI Embedded and Javascript SDK.
We have to identify the role 1st and hide the pages using JavaScript functions. 

Reference : https://microsoft.github.io/PowerBI-JavaScript/demo/pagenavigation.html

If you are trying to implement the same in Power BI service, at present there is no option available. As an alternative method, you can create multiple reports based on the role. Then provide access to the corresponding people. Finally, you can create another report with a single page. You can mention some introduction to your report. Then you can provide a button for navigating the original report. In the Button settings, Turn ON the action and choose type as Web URL. Here you can use conditional formatting and choose a measure that returns dynamic report URL based on the Role. 

Button SettingsButton Settings

If you wish to implement the dynamic RLS, please refer to this post - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Dynamic-Row-Level-Security-Dynamic-RLS/ba-p/787399

Regards,

Nandu Krishna

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.