Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mikolaj
Regular Visitor

Dynamic row number in PowerBi table

Hello,

I have few tables with  sales values but with different number of rows. In each table i want to have first column with ordinal number (1, 2, 3, ..., n) wich will be immune for any type of sorting, but will change whe filtering rows. Any ideas hot to do it?, like on the screen below:

2018-02-22_10h33_54.png

Mikołaj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rajulshah
Super User
Super User

Hello @mikolaj,

You can try giving row number by giving rank to them. You can give rank according to sales value or customer name.

I may be assuming something wrong but I guess the following is what you need.

rank.gif

Let me know this is not what you want.

Regards.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
rajulshah
Super User
Super User

Hello @mikolaj,

You can try giving row number by giving rank to them. You can give rank according to sales value or customer name.

I may be assuming something wrong but I guess the following is what you need.

rank.gif

Let me know this is not what you want.

Regards.

I think this will solve my problems, I'll try. Thank you 🙂

I can't see how this can work, given the requirement to change the sort order and still have a row number.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

May I ask why?  Is it just so you can refer to line numbers for commentary purposes?  I don’t think you can do it in a standard visual. A long shot might be a custom visual. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Client wanted this solutions. There's hundreds of rows in tables and he doesn't want to count manually to see on which positions is seller or something like this after sorting (maybe I shoul call it Rank or something to be more precise). 

Custom visual are undesirable, it's going to be PowerBi embedded and it has to work flawlessly

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.