Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cnweke
Resolver II
Resolver II

Dynamic row level security with bidirectional filtering

Hi all,

I seem to be struggling implemeting dynamic RLS. My use case is simple:

A star schema with a fact surrounded by a dozen dimensions.

All the dimensions have at least one security key. (i.e. security on state level and then on store level)

I have bidrectional filters on at all tables connected to my fact as of now because it makes slicers better.

i.e. If you select state A from a slicer, the fact is filtered. In turn the fact table filters all dimensions so their slicer elements only contain non-null values for the slicer. A user from state A shouldn't see what the people of state B are selling.

Am I wrong in thinking that this filter kind of resembles SQL inner joins?

Now, my security table consists of 2 Keys (State / Store) and 0 or 1 which indicates whether to filter on State or Store level and a local users. The local users have been added to a security group where I've put the following dax filter:

= Tbl[Username] = username()

From my albeit limited understanding of bidirectional filters I believe I just need to make a relationship between that table, a bridge (to circumvent many-to-many) and then my fact table which will then filter my other tables accordingly.

Another option would be to explicitly make relationships between my bridge and all my dimensions but I rather not if that's possible.

This doesn't seem to be doing a lot, does anyone have any idea what I might be forgetting?

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

HI @cnweke ,

>>Am I wrong in thinking that this filter kind of resembles SQL inner joins?

Yes, you can think it as an inner join, for example, if I select two value on column A in table a, then the filter on this column will transfer to another table b which has relationship between table a, the result will like:

select * from b
inner join a
on a.A = a.A
where a.A in (value 1, value 2)

bidirectional filters means that the filter can transfer from table a to table b, or table b to table a.

Best Regards,

Teige

Now, how would you tackle a situation where I need to filter my fact table AND dimensions attributes.

- Put RLS on the fact and have bidirectional filters take care of the dimensions. (connecting my security table to only the fact).

- Putting RLS on all dimensions and then bidirectional filters on the fact. (Connecting the security table to everything but the fact).

Initially I wanted to do the latter but it seems to be giving me ambigious path errors. The former seems like it could be abused.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.