Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

qlegoff
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic query parameter filtering SQL database

Hi everyone,

I have an issue when I try to filter my SQL server statement with a query parameter generated from a dynamic list.

Concretely, I have a parameter which is a distinct value from a list of a Excel web file.

At the opening of the PBI template file, I can select from this list my parameter and it filters data in my report.

I would like it filters my SQL datasource too with this parameter.

So I try to write:

let
    Source = Sql.Database("<sql-server>", "<sql-db>", [Query="SELECT * FROM [dbo].[<my_table>] WHERE parameter = '"&parameter&"'"])
in
    Source

It works when my parameter is a simple text parameter but when I configure it to be from list request, I've got this error:

Formula.Firewall : Query 'Query2' (step 'Source') references other queries or steps and so may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination

I read this article : https://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2015/03/11/power-query-errors-please-rebuild-this-data-combination/ but it doesn't seem to be the same problem.

Thx in advance, 

Regards

2 REPLIES 2
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @qlegoff,

Based on my research, you could refert to this article to pass Parameters to SQL queries: https://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2016/04/28/pass-parameters-to-sql-queries/

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Unfortunately, it did not work with my case. Still the same problem.

For now, I just set another parameter where I copy the value from the list above and it works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.