Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NickIT91
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic parameter that populates a column, and changes it's value based on customers/clients

Hi all,

I was wanting to know if anyone knew a way to create a parameter that can have different values in the same column, based on the customers in a table.

For example, I would like some clients in the table to have a value of 5, some a value of 4 etc. These values would then be used in the calculations for other measures.

The values for each client would be determined by the user selecting which value each client can have

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @NickIT91 ,

According to your needs, if you want to continue to classify customers based on numbers and continue the subsequent operations, you can use the Rank function to sort them in descending order. The largest number indicates the greater the importance of the customer. For further processing, you can use the if function.

like this: 

M = if(number meet the condition,A,B)

If you still can’t solve it, can you provide the expected results and test data, so I will answer you as soon as possible. Let me know immediately and looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@NickIT91 then you should look into rank. Read posts here on ranking

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@NickIT91 you can use random function to generate number for new column:

RANDBETWEEN function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Docs

RAND function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Docs

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry I should have been more specific. Basically I want the user to be able to categorise certain clients with a number (the higher the number the more important they are), with this number then feeding into other calculations (that rate the customers overall value).

Hi @NickIT91 ,

According to your needs, if you want to continue to classify customers based on numbers and continue the subsequent operations, you can use the Rank function to sort them in descending order. The largest number indicates the greater the importance of the customer. For further processing, you can use the if function.

like this: 

M = if(number meet the condition,A,B)

If you still can’t solve it, can you provide the expected results and test data, so I will answer you as soon as possible. Let me know immediately and looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.