Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MaxW
Advocate II
Advocate II

Dynamic grouping based on Logged In User

Hi,

I want to use Role based security to group test results dynamically.

I want my users (teachers) to be able to compare their students against the rest as a benchmark. Teachers should be able to see all test scores, but only put names to their own students. Is this possible??

RLS Schematic.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@MaxW wrote:

Hi,

I want to use Role based security to group test results dynamically.

I want my users (teachers) to be able to compare their students against the rest as a benchmark. Teachers should be able to see all test scores, but only put names to their own students. Is this possible??

RLS Schematic.PNG

@MaxW

With those 3 tables, I don't think the logged teacher can see the "REST".

In my opnion,  to compare current logged teacher's students against the rest, you'll have to duplicate the PowerBIUsers table and aggregate data in QueryEditor, then you'll get total 4 tables, your 3 and the aggregated 1(which doesn't connect to any table of the 3). Then you apply RLS on the PowerBIUsers table so that the logged teacher can see their own students detailed score and also see the aggregated 4th table.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'm a bit confused by the detail though. Can you clarify what model structure you're suggesting? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors