Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RafalK
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Dynamic formatting of measures - Power BI Desktop Update - August 2020

Hi everyone,

Looks like there is an option to dynamically format measures without the need to use FORMAT function.

It has been presented on the youtube Power BI update video. On eneeds to use Tabular Editor to do it.

My question is - has anyone been able to do that?

I have the exact same version of Tabular Editor on my machine but there is no option for "Format String Expression" - Only "Format String" next to my measures.

Video:

RafalK_0-1597412182084.png

My model :

RafalK_1-1597412212857.png

Rafał Kun
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RafalK
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Got it!

I have made a tutorial on how to create a dynamic formatting for measures.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Dynamic-formatting-of-measures/m-p/1297373#M565099

Rafał Kun

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RafalK
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Got it!

I have made a tutorial on how to create a dynamic formatting for measures.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Dynamic-formatting-of-measures/m-p/1297373#M565099

Rafał Kun

@RafalK as mentioned earlier, it was going to work with calculation groups. Anyhow, good you put a blog post on it but honest opinion, your blog post is a bit hard to follow (I could be wrong) especially who never used this before, you should highlight the areas in the post and also try to keep different names, too many places "dynamic" word is used. Just my 2 cent.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k thanks for the feedback. I did change the flow of the tutorial so now it should be a little easier to understand.

Rafał Kun
RafalK
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Looks like this is only an option for Calculation Groups so I'm not usre if thos will help me.

I have a column with measure name, measure for each name and a measure with SWITCH.

Once I select "Sales USD" in column my SWITCH measure will return Sales USD value. If I select Sales Volume it will return Sales Volume value itc.

Now - I need this measure to have different formatting based on what measure name has been selected.

Is it possible to do with the new String Format Expression and Dynamic Groups somehow?

Rafał Kun
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@RafalK did you added a calculation group and trying to add expression for an item?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@RafalK , I Checked the video in Guyinacube show that but that is version 2.9.8

I am having 2.11.6 and see the same option as you, Try giving format string and check

There is one video from Guyinacube - But steps are same -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlnx7QUVYME

camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @RafalK ,

Maybe this link can help you:

https://radacad.com/custom-format-fields-and-measures-in-power-bi

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.