Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Smasroor
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic display for date (Years, quarters, months, days) on bar chart

I have a dataset that has associate names, commission $, and commission date (mm/dd/yyyy). I have a bar chart that displays commission by year for slected associate (in slicer). I want to provide labels to users for selecting if the want to view the bar graph by year, quarter or month or day. So, basically i want my x axis to dynamically display year, month, quarter or day based on user selection. Coming from Tableau world, I had to create a parameter with year, quarter, month and day options and create a calculated column on top of my date. But, is it doable in Power BI?

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Smasroor

Please see the reference:

Dynamic X axis on charts – Power BI

Here is an example file I made with your simple dataset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

1. Create a table ( Home -> Enter Data) with one column with the below values and then create slicer basedon this table.

Options
Year
Quarter
Month
Day

2. Create seperate Measures for YEAR_M , Quarter_M, Month_M, Day_M from commision date. For Ex: Commision Year = YEAR ( MAX(Table1[Commision_Date]))

3. Create a Measeure :

Measure = SWITCH ( TRUE(),
                SELECTEDVALUE( Options_Table[Options]) = "Year" , Your_Table[ Year_M],
                SELECTEDVALUE( Options_Table[Options]) = "Quarter" , Your_Table[ Quarter_M],
                SELECTEDVALUE( Options_Table[Options]) = "Month" , Your_Table[ Month_M],
                SELECTEDVALUE( Options_Table[Options]) = "Day" , Your_Table[ Day_M]
                   )

4. Create chart based on this measure, your column list will be dynamic.

Thanks
Raj

Thanks for your response @Anonymous. But looks like i can't use the Switch DAX you mentioned as measure. Below is the error i get:

A single value for column 'monthColumn' in table 'Query1' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.

Thanks and any help is much appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Smasroor

I have edited my post above, pleasetry again now and let me know if you see any issues.

Thanks

Raj

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.